Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muhammad Ali, exciting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apart from the obvious fights I never found him 'exciting' too watch at all really.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Give me a local street fight between two nutjobs down the park over that.
      That's the point, if you like the science of Boxing, you like. If some one watches Boxing just for violence, they won't.

Comment

Exciting, beautiful! Prime Ali was poetry in motion.

Comment

He was in some exciting fights but, no, I wouldn't say that his style was that exciting. Beautiful, though.

Comment

People loved Ali more for his showboating and personality outside the ring than his style as a boxer. The casual fan who will claim to love Ali would generally hate a fighter with his style today.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
              That's the point, if you like the science of Boxing, you like. If some one watches Boxing just for violence, they won't.
              I was being sarcastic.

I just don't see what all you guys find so appealing about his style and you haven't given anything except "wow it woz po3try in m0tion".

Comment

No. He was the best and he was a fantastic character but to me his performances IN the ring were not exciting, not very often anyway. He rarely threw to the body (i love good body shots) and he frequently spoiled and clinched (a pet hate of mine)

All the props in the world go to Muhammad but i tend to find him boring for the most part with the odd exception here and there

Comment

Mostly no. Yeah ali-williams is fun because ali is completely destroying williams but a lot of his fights are very long and boring. Don't give me that sweet science bull, ali didn't do anything textbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    I was being sarcastic.

I just don't see what all you guys find so appealing about his style and you haven't given anything except "wow it woz po3try in m0tion".

I think of Ali as more 'entertaining' than 'exciting'. Big punchers tend to be more exciting because of their ability to end a fight at any given point. Ali of course wasn't a particularly big puncher.

His entertainment came from his talking in the ring, his shuffle, his feigning hurt, his waving people on, his talking in the ring etc. But I was genuinely entertained by his ability to land rapid, fast, accurate punches whilst shuffling and dancing.......and avoiding return punches with reflex alone. No fight embodied this better than the Cleveland Williams fight, his rhythm, reflexes, combinations, grace and accuracy were very impressive.

I suppose we all enjoy seeing different things in our favorite fighters. Some are excited by seeing the art of boxing, hitting and not getting hit in return (P. Whitaker / H. Graham / N. Locche / M. Ali). Some folks hate that style and find aggressive, knockout artists like G. Foreman, M. Tyson or G. McClellan exciting.

I find both entertaining and exciting......but not in the same way.

Comment

He was exciting in the sense that you don't see fighters like that at heavyweight, but to be honest I think Ali is overrated as a fighter in general. You see these lists of ATG P4P boxers and Sugar Ray Robinson is number 1, with Ali number 2. To me, that's ridiculous!

People rate him higher as a fighter because of the influence he had outside of the ring; because he was an entertainer, and his style was part of that. But I think that people get carried away with the entertainment side of it and rate him higher as a fighter.

Having said that, he was still a great fighter, but if he wasn't such a character he probably wouldn't be in a lot of peoples top 10 all time P4P lists.

Comment

Working...
                      X