No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr vs Mike Tyson in their primes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones Jr vs Mike Tyson in their primes

Yeah I'm really bored and I know this sounds dumb, but what the hell.

Let's say a prime RJJ was able to carry his speed and power to HW. How would he have fared against a prime Mike Tyson? Would his speed help him to outbox Tyson or is Tyson's fighting style too much for him?
    Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 10-06-2011, 07:33 PM.

Against a prime Tyson, Jones would have to literally run to last the first round. And even if he did, he wouldn't last too much longer.

Comment

Roy would literally have to run for 12 rounds. Putting Roy up against any ATG true heavyweight isn't fair

Comment

Jones might have been to keep away for awhile but he would have nothing to keep Tyson off him. Prime Tyson by ko.

Comment

Tyson KO in the first.

Comment

Prime Tyson wins this and most probably by KO.

The problem for Roy Jones is that he never danced a full 12 rounds, he loved his time outs on the ropes where he could slip, counter and get a breather. In his prime he could do this nicely against super middleweights and light heavyweights......and seemed to have no problems absorbing body blows or the odd cuffing head shot when he was doing this.

The problem is that I dont think there is any heavyweight in history who could rope-a-dope prime Mike Tyson (not Johnson, Walcott, Ali or Holmes), let alone a guy Jones's size. Tyson was too precise and powerful......and his combinations were rapid to body and head.

Roy would have to circle on his toes all night and hope that he had enough sting in his punches to keep Tyson away.......but even then, Tyson kept coming through vicious combinations for 10 rounds from the huge (6ft 5 and 235 Lbs) and heavy handed Buster Douglas, I can't see Jones deterring Tyson.

Whilst I think that prime Jones's chin was much better than it has seemed to be post Jones vs Ruiz I don't think that it would withstand prime Tyson's power.....and be in no doubt, prime Tyson would find Jones's chin before long.

Comment

Tyson KO 1. KO 2 at a push.

Roy could hang with some heavys out of pure speed and ability, Tyson is another matter. He'd bring an intensity Roy never saw before with his own incredible speed and however u rate Jones in the chin department Pre Ruiz, u must know he couldnt take a Mike Tyson Bomb. I cant see Roy's power detering Mike much either

Not a fair fight

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                Tyson KO 1. KO 2 at a push.

Roy could hang with some heavys out of pure speed and ability, Tyson is another matter. He'd bring an intensity Roy never saw before with his own incredible speed and however u rate Jones in the chin department Pre Ruiz, u must know he couldnt take a Mike Tyson Bomb. I cant see Roy's power detering Mike much either

Not a fair fight

Agreed, it isn't a fair fight.

I'd feel confident sending prime Jones in with the best light heavyweights of all time (Moore, Charles, Langford, Tunney, Spinks, Foster and Moorer). I think he'd do very well!

But Mike Tyson is a step too far.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Agreed, it isn't a fair fight.

I'd feel confident sending prime Jones in with the best light heavyweights of all time (Moore, Charles, Langford, Tunney, Spinks, Foster and Moorer). I think he'd do very well!

But Mike Tyson is a step too far.....
                  Yeah i would be very intrested to see Roy in with those caliber of fighters and i tell u i wouldnt make ANYONE Roy's size a big favourite over him - if at all.
                  Ur Mike Tyson's and Lennox Lewis' are a step too far though for Jones

Comment

Tyson by murderous KO at basically any point in the fight he chooses, all trolling aside this is a hideous style match-up for Roy Jones.

Comment

Working...
                    X