No announcement yet.

Is Greb Greater Than Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
    The American version was really more credible at the time, as the world belt was being passed around by 4 or 5 guys who were obviously not the best in the division and were dodging the top fighters.
    Yeah I noticed that when studying the records and where the LHW belt was at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Yeah I noticed that when studying the records and where the LHW belt was at the time.

If Greb did not win the championship, Then Gene Tunney was not the LHW champ simple as that.

Look there has always been separate version of championships, most people of the time including the media, accepted the American version as the LHW title.

After Greb beat Tunney he was hailed as the new LHW champ by the media. I know the history of each of those titles,and without any doubt the American version was the one, which had the most credibility.

If you wanna see, I will provide you with the articles discussing Grebs light heavy weight claim, after the Tunney win.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
        If Greb did not win the championship, Then Gene Tunney was not the LHW champ simple as that.

Look there has always been separate version of championships, most people of the time including the media, accepted the American version as the LHW title.

After Greb beat Tunney he was hailed as the new LHW champ by the media. I know the history of each of those titles,and without any doubt the American version was the one, which had the most credibility.

If you wanna see, I will provide you with the articles discussing Grebs light heavy weight claim, after the Tunney win.
        This talks of Greb's defense of his light heavy weight title...if Barnburner or others need more I will post.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...loughran&hl=en

THis is NY times :-

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...8CD85F468285F9

Now LOuhharnd was notorious for his yarns , in one of his interviews he said Greb hit him with many gloves and also said Greb did not lay a glove on him.

Here's that....its actually...quite funny

Comment

He wasn't. The reason he moved up to chase heavyweight glory was because he was being shut out of the World LHW title picture which was being fought out by Georges Carpentier, Battling Siki and Paul Bendecher or something....can't remember his name.

Tunney, and Greb next to him, were considered to be the two best fighters but neither were ever the LHW champion. 'People's' champion sure, but not thew actual LHW champion.

As GJC said, if Greb had been given a fair go it's highly possible that he would have been the first, way before Armstrong, to win three titles simultaneously. Or he could have been the first 3 division titlist anyway.

As it stands he was not the LHW champion. They didn't accept the American version as the 'true' title. The World title was the accepted version across the board. What they did think though was that the wrong person was getting the title shots because Tunney should have been the world champion. He wasn't however and that sucks, but that's history and it's happened before and many times since.

In the same way Sam Langford should have been world champ, but wasn't, as should Burley etc etc.

Comment

This talks of Greb's defense of his light heavy weight title...if Barnburner or others need more I will post.

THis is NY times :-

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...8CD85F468285F9

Now LOuhharnd was notorious for his yarns , in one of his interviews he said Greb hit him with many gloves and also said Greb did not lay a glove on him.

Here's that....its actually...quite funny

The second line in the first link clearly states American Champion.
            Last edited by Barn; 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Not only that, but it clearly states in no uncertain terms how they thought of this being called any sort of championship match. I guess it shows just how far down boxing has come. Imagine if these same guys, disdainful of an American LHW title fight being called a 'championship match', saw what passes for world title fights these days with unranked fighters, coming off losses, suspensions, at catchweights in divisions neither has fought at or is any kind of contender even?

Anyway, it states 'A rather meagre crowd witnessed the so-called championship encounter' specifically stating that it was clearly not for the world LHW title nor did anyone think it as such.

So, to settle it. Neither Greb nor Tunney ever won the LHW title. It really is as simple as that. They just didn't win it. It's fact. Set in stone. Can't be undone or revised. It just didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                Not only that, but it clearly states in no uncertain terms how they thought of this being called any sort of championship match. I guess it shows just how far down boxing has come. Imagine if these same guys, disdainful of an American LHW title fight being called a 'championship match', saw what passes for world title fights these days with unranked fighters, coming off losses, suspensions, at catchweights in divisions neither has fought at or is any kind of contender even?

Anyway, it states 'A rather meagre crowd witnessed the so-called championship encounter' specifically stating that it was clearly not for the world LHW title nor did anyone think it as such.

So, to settle it. Neither Greb nor Tunney ever won the LHW title. It really is as simple as that. They just didn't win it. It's fact. Set in stone. Can't be undone or revised. It just didn't happen.
                IBU Diamond interim supernova junior world championship.

Comment

Originally posted by FenechJeff
                  This can't be a serious question mate. Greb had ace ability far superior to Duran and it shows on his record. Duran would not have lasted two rounds with Tunney.
                  Maybe because he was a natural Lighweight

Comment

Originally posted by FenechJeff
                    This can't be a serious question mate. Greb had ace ability far superior to Duran and it shows on his record. Duran would not have lasted two rounds with Tunney.
                    This can't be a serious statement mate.

Comment

I know it was United States title,but it was the title most accepted at the time....do you wanna read other reports?

Benny ,I know the stand of the Ring and most people, but contemporary newspapers mostly accepted Gene Tunney as the champ. And Greb was viewed as teh champ after that...all the newspaper reports talks of that.

At least the US title was the most accepted...Doesn't matter what other titles are...any in any case the thing is clear, cut it as you will, Greb still had a slice of the light heavy belt, had a great resume at lightheavy.

And cut it as you will Greb was 2-2 with Tunney. By the one before someone comes and says I know Ring's take and what others take on it...I am going by contemporary newspaper articles.
                      Last edited by Greatest1942; 10-06-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X