No announcement yet.

Does Tarver belong with the ATG greats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    I wouldnt say Ottke sucked exactly, he was just overated. The man had a good defence and a very tough chin, but thats about it. Zero power, zero speed.

yes you're certainly right, no highly paid pro sucks.

sucks is a huge overstatement.

the way his career played out grinds my gears a bit and i have a tendency to bash the guy to a level far exceeding what he deserves

i do believe that if you put him in there with any solid MW or SMW he would get completely exposed.

for instance, i'd pick jermain taylor to stop him
    and i don't pick taylor to stop ANYBODY lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Antonio Tarver is not a HOF'er.

Castillo, Hatton, Cotto, Corrales, Gatti and Hernandez getting in would be ridiculous.

But Tarver? That would just make the HOF close to worthless.

If Antonio Tarver were to get in the HOF it would be one of the most undeserving inductions in History.

Right up there with Barry McGuigan and Willie Pastrano.
      That's just it Bro: The IBHOF IS worthless if you're going to use it as a measuring stick for greatness. I'm not saying that to put it down it just is what it is. Truth is, if a fighter is a crowd pleasure he's got a good shot at getting in regardless of whether he's C-level talent or not. I've said for a long time that Gatti's a lock. Again, not putting it down I just don't use the IBHOF for something it was never intended to be used for.

Poet

Comment

No. Tarver is not even close to being a great fighter.

Comment

One of the most overrated boxers in my lifetime. He's not even a HOFer, let alone an ATG.

Comment

BTW, every Hall of Fame for every sport is a joke. At some point guys who were good but not great get in just because they were good guys or the media liked them. They end up having little to do with actual worth.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
              I agree with you about Tarver, but do you seriously think Hatton, Cotto and Gatti shouldn't be in the Hall? There are far less deserving people in there already.
              I don't think they are,.......... We have to have a HOF for very exceptional Champions only, ---------- A world title is what I'd call as ALREADY a Great Honour and great recognition. If you have a HOF of anybody who's held a partial title,.... that HOF simply becomes a statistical list of champions and partial champions....... and with the amount of divisions and titles there are now,... it won't be long before a trip to the HOF will take 4 years to read all the names there,..... you could end up with a hall of fame with 20000 names. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- And then you might as well abolish titles.

Comment

If Forrest belongs into the HOF then so does Tarver. And Gatti, if he also belongs there than Antonio DEFINITELY does!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                  If Forrest belongs into the HOF then so does Tarver. And Gatti, if he also belongs there than Antonio DEFINITELY does!

i dont think forrest will make it in either

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    with all respect if that's all you care about you are missing the point of the distinction i'm trying to make

and caldron also fought three of his biggest names twice (think "ranked," if it helps. mayol was rebuilding when he faced caldron, but got ranked when he earned the TD. he also went on to win a world title against edgar sosa, a solid fighter, in what i believe was his next fight)
                    I never said that top 10 rankings is all I care about. I rank Calderon far ahead of Ottke, he was simply a much better fighter. The notion that Calderons resume isn't relatively thin is flat out wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      i dont think forrest will make it in either
                      If he does make it then it will be because of sentiment over his tragic death. Take away the Mosley fights and you have a very thin resume for someone with that good of a record. I'd pick Tarver over Forrest if I had to choose between them.

Comment

Working...
                      X