No announcement yet.

GREATS Who Had Phenomenal REACH

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    Owen Moran 5 ft 3 with 5 ft 7 reach (4 inches*)...... is Paul Williams a legit great ?
    I don't know if you can say that. I suggest you ask No Ceilings (Burner). I'm sure he can tell you wheter Williams is a great or not.

Comment

I can't relate to Height in terms of centimetres......... they were still teaching the Imperial system then...... But only Greats can be included, otherwise I can name a local boxer with almost world record reach...... but his record is something like 2 wins and 7 losses by KO.... and you may know a local orang-utan too,....... Otherwise we will go on forever..... can't believe everybody forgot to check ALI's stats.
      I cant relate to feet and inches lol. So illogical.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        WHAT !!!!!!!.... the English had it down pat simple mate,.... take their money for instance, there are/were Groats, Farthings, Shillings, the Throooooopence or Joey or sometimes a Thrup'ney bit, Pence, Pound, Nobles, a Tanner (or sixpence), a Quid, a Crown, a Half-Crown, a Florin, a Bob, a Hapney, the Guinea, The Soveriegn, the Half-Soveriegn...... much cooler than the Dollar and the cent, -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Don't panic, it's a very simple and VERY logical system..... Let's start with the pound, a Pound was made up of 20 Shillings, and a Shilling was worth 12 pennies (Illogical would be a number like 17), so one Pound was 240 pence (pennies), a Crown is 5 Shillings, a Half-Crown was 2 Shillings and 6 pence, a Bob was 1 Shilling, a Florin was 2 Shillings, a Tanner was 6 pence, a Joey was 3 pence, a Hapney was half a penny, a Farthing was a quarter of a Penny, a Guinea was very logical 1 Pound and 1 Shilling or if you like 21 Shillings, Soveriegn's were the old name for the pound but they were Gold... And the measurements were EVEN MORE LOGICAL............. Do you see the wonderful advantages of that system now ????.. I can see you will want Denmark to adopt that easy system immediately..... BTW,... how's Aussie Mary going ???... say G'day to her for me.

Comment

And what's wrong with using the inchworm for our standard of measurement ???

Comment

And what's wrong with using the inchworm for our standard of measurement ???
            I use lbs for boxers weight. That's as far as I've gotten.

Mary is doing fine. Still pretty as hell.

Comment

And remember the other day when you asked me if I was an Aussie ???.... Well I'd be 'appy to 'ave a chin wag with you about it, she'll be apples mate, but me mate's got some trouble with'is missus', you know, the old "trouble and Strife" (wife). 'E'll be waitin' fer the crows to come home 'e will, he's a real "bottler of a bloke" but. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------There's no beatin' around the bush with 'im (a bit like yerself mate, I dips me lid to ya), but as I said, 'e's got Buckleys chance with her, stone the crows what a cow, but she's got knockers that are as rare as hen's teeth, but Fair-Dinkum she's lower than a death adder's armpit, say's one thing, does t' other......... hang on a tick, I'm goin' twenty to the dozen, goin on about me mate's "ball n chain". -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I like a schooner of beer or two but you know if you drink to much of that stuff you develop the old "Awning above the toy shop", a lot of blokes with ankle biters have a beer gut problem, drown the ol' sorrows down to get away from the little buggers, then they end up as "mad as a cut snake", before the arvo is out. Battling nelson had "a head on him like a sucked out Mango", but when he went in the ring, he was "flat out like a lizard drinkin", I've 'ad a bonzer time chin waggin with ya mate, anyway I think I'll go and poach some "Cackle Berries", what else do you have with bacon, I ask yer, and I'm as dry as a 'Dead Nun's *u**", so I'd better wet me whistle first........... I suppose it's more logical than the old English Money system (even though it's simple). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- By the way Bat, how on earth did you suss me as an Australian ?????..... it's not as though I write with an accent or anything......... or was it.

Comment

I use lbs for boxers weight. That's as far as I've gotten.

Mary is doing fine. Still pretty as hell.
                Oh, you'll have the old English money system down pat, what with my easy to follow guide an' all.

Comment

Oh, you'll have the old English money system down pat, what with my easy to follow guide an' all.
                  Intelligent Australian Jokes #1, ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ AN OLD Australian WOMAN went to see her doctor, " Doc ", she said, " I want a hysterectomy ". The Doctor was amazed, " but Betty ", he said, "you are 83 years old, why do you want to have a hysterectomy ? ". " Because ", she said, "I've got 16 Grand-Children, and that's enough ".................... Intelligent Aussie #1.

Comment

Great Fighters Who Had Phenomenal Reach.
                    I have always been amazed by shortish fighters who had a reach many inches longer than their height. Thanks to one of our best posters who posted a nice link about Barbados Joe Walcott, a fighter who legendary KO ability. These guys are rare in this sport and are considered to be freaks, and I think that their incredible reach had a lot to do with their power. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I won't name a lot of guys who qualify for this thread but I will name Walcott and Langford to start with,these guy are not the only ones,...... I may give a prize to the clever one who names the most obvious name that I have not Named due to reasons of my own,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It won't need Einstein..... LOL. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I would really like some opinions of those of you who can explain the technical advantages of being a 5 ft 7 in high MW with a 6 ft 2 in reach........... especially those of you who have ring experience.......... New England, I know that you will shine on this thread mate, and you too JAB. ---------------

to boil it down a bit and try and make simple a very dynamic process (for the purpose of discussion,) we can look at leverage in boxing like we look at it in other realms. the stars have to align to make a puncher, so there's obviously a lot more going on when a puncher is born.

longer and bigger levers are stronger
                    they have a greater potential for generating power and they facilitate more easily the generation of power (power is work/time. this is the snap in a power punch. strength / speed.)

now obviously this doesn't mean the longest fighter is guaranteed to be the biggest puncher
                    mike tyson was one one of the hardest punchers ever, and his reach usually gets listed at 71 inches (5'11.) very explosive puncher.
                    but longer and bigger guys do generally punch harder, and have an easer time generating power and have to work less do to it.
                    Last edited by New England; 09-30-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Lennox Lewis: 6'5 with a 7 foot wingspan

Comment

Working...
                      X