No announcement yet.

Bronco McKart

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco McKart

What did ya think of him, did anybody here like him? He had 2 good fights with Winky and also with Ornelas. Havent seen that much of him but he looked solid.

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    What did ya think of him, did anybody here like him? He had 2 good fights with Winky and also with Ornelas. Havent seen that much of him but he looked solid.
    I bet Rockin' would be able to give you alot on McKart. McKart was with the Jackie Kallen stable.

I watched McKart alot on tv. He had underrated power and was a southpaw.
    He probably would have gone alot further if he wasn't put in with fellow southpaw Winky Wright three times.
    Though they came towards the end of his career, the two bouts with Ornelas were classics.

Comment

He was decent.

His series with Wright ranks as my all time WORST "rivalry". Round after monotonous round....never understood how they made a series out of it.

Comment

i'm sometimes tempted to think of mcKart as a glorified club fighter
        and that's certainly not doing him justice. he boxed almost 400 rounds.

karmazin
        ornelas
        pavlik
        travis simms
        phillips
        wright

clayton williams (four rounder, second year as a pro)

those are the names of the guys who beat mckart.

not too shabby, really
        those guys were all good fighters at one point or another outside of williams.

i think if he were around today and in his prime he'd fit in at 154. he was only stopped by ornelas (solid puncher who is fighting today as a LHW)
        and pavlik at the height of his powers, who was a total dumptruck and a huge MW.
        both late in his career.

and he's evidently still active according to the boxrec ...
        scored a tko in late 2010
        ... at a high school
        Last edited by New England; 09-05-2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Bronco was very good. I remember the first time throwing punches with him. It was mid summer and Cindy and I were just enjoying the day as we always had. I gotta call to be at the gym, that they had somebody that they wanted me to work with. So Cindy and I drove down to the gym and I was told that I was going to be sparring with Bronco McCart. I remember hearing his name and wondering who would name their kid Bronco. It ended up that it was Gene McCart who had named his son. Gene and Bronco were team, they were in this together. I always admired that. Gene had actually come up with the name because he said that every time that he would touch his wifes impregnated stomach that he'd feel the little guy in there just kicking away like a Bronco..... and so it was.

In the ring I found that Bronco had a punch like a bronco, if broncos could ever punch. His blows were not over whelming but they were in no way soft. Each shot seemed to pack the same solid precision. I remember that when we were done that Jackie complimented me on my work. It ends up this was when Bronco had first signed with Jackie and they were in preperations for his professional debut. The next time that we would exchange would be down at C.M.I, were Jackie first started her own gym and stable. Again the sparring was intense and the exchanges relatively equal, but he would always leave your head ringing abit.

I remember Bronco losing the bout to Clayton Williams, it was early in his career maybe dropping him to 3 or 4 and 1. Jackie had just opened up Galaxy and the gym still had a freshness in the air from it's recent construction and painting. It would be a long time before Bronco would lose again.

When I was up and rolling in Galaxy generaly my sparring partners were always Bronco and Tarrick Salmaci. I'd spar 3 with one and then the other would jump in and I'd work another 3. The fresh opponent always made me re-shift gears because of the sharpness in contrast to my last opponent who had been tiring abit. Bronco was always a very technical and dangerous chess match, he took his time and picked his spots.

With the Wright trilogie Bill Miller, Broncos trainer, warned Jackie to stay "clear away" from Winky Wright, that the fight was not right for Bronco. I remember watching the fight on tellevision. Bronco always seemed to have abit of trouble against fellow south paws anyway, but through in Wrights incredible agility and elusisness and it spells night mare for Bronco. No matter how good you are there will always be a man carrying your number, some styles just cant work others.

I have to mention Gene again, Broncos father. From the first day that I met Bronco to the last time that I have seen him he was with his father. Every day down at the Gym, you see Bronco and you see Gene. Gene made sure that Bronco had everything that he needed to succeed in the ring, made sure that he was able to get to gyms/fights. They have a great relationship and I think that they both take extreme pride in what Bronco was able to accomplish in the ring. I'll always envy that relationship.

Over all Bronco has been one of the better matches that I have ever found, and there have been plenty. Good defense, quick hands, formidable power and a ton of heart. That all generally adds up to one good fighter, as Bronco was. He will always be a great guy...........Rockin'

Comment

bet you didn't think you'd get a response like rockin's response, did you pastrano

note : i had to alter my autocorrect so it stops changing pastrano to pastrami
            thank me later ^^

no shame in getting picked apart by winky wright, either

he reduced tito trinidad to almost nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              bet you didn't think you'd get a response like rockin's response, did you pastrano

note : i had to alter my autocorrect so it stops changing pastrano to pastrami
              thank me later ^^

no shame in getting picked apart by winky wright, either

he reduced tito trinidad to almost nothing.
              And no, I didn't expect such a good response.

Comment

Working...
              X