No announcement yet.

Jake Lamotta vs Roy Jones Jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    The excitement level of a fight does not determine its position on a card, secondly Jones looked masterful in that performance and practically was the embodiment of the term hit and not get hit against a very good boxer puncher.
    I'm not referring to the excitement level of the fight, and Jones was far from masterful, and Hopkins was not nearly then the fighter he would become. Watch the fight again; it was two young guys on their way up, not a world championship quality fight, especially not at that level in LaMotta's era.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      I'm not referring to the excitement level of the fight, and Jones was far from masterful, and Hopkins was not nearly then the fighter he would become. Watch the fight again; it was two young guys on their way up, not a world championship quality fight, especially not at that level in LaMotta's era.
      I don't understand how you can say Jones didn't look impressive, he dominated Hopkins. A Hopkins who still looked like a very good fighter despite his inexperience. Keep in mind Jones was green also and it was only for a strap so not really classed as a championship fight in the traditional sense. Wasn't the two highest ranked fighters facing off.

Comment

Roy Jones. Too Big. Too Fast.

Jones would tag Jake at will and not be there too tag back. LaMotta was never a Huge puncher and just wouldnt connect enough despite his volume to amount enough damage to wear Roy down. Sure he'd have his moments when Roy would get backed up on the ropes but not often enough. Best bet is Roy wins a clear UD. I wouldnt rule out a cuts stoppage or maybe just maybe a sustained barrage from Roy that prompts the Ref to jump in. Jake Protests!

Comment

I'll give LaMotta his respect, it would be a good fight and a close fight, but Roy would win clearly by decision.

Comment

Working...
          X