No announcement yet.

Which Boxer would make a good VIKING

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    Yea, Hardråde was and is still big here in Norway, where I live. They got a square named after him in Oslo and there's even a statue of him. He was the first Christian ruler of Norway, although he wasn't really Christian, it was his brother that was but he died in a battle.
    Wasn't his brothers name Olaf, I think it was. You're from Norway eh, and here's me complaining about the cold,... oh man even your Summers would turn me into a shivering wreck. No wonder Harald is big where you live, man when I read that bit in his saga about what he did to Irene,...........Irene.. Now there was a piece of work, I pity her for her fate, but that was one woman with an enormous amount of blood on her hands, a completely ruthless individual (I'm not referring from the Saga here),............... Name me one Byzantine ruler who wasn't !!!!!,.......... hey, it's very cool how you get those little thingy's above the letters on his name, it looks better that way, more authentic...... if I knew you were from way up there, I would have understood your relationship with my mate Darcy better,,,,,,,,.................................... .... I do suppose he's not exactly a household name in Oslo,......... but being of Irish heritage,... maybe he's from a place near you,............ After all Dublin is a Viking Town.

Comment

Yea, Hardråde was and is still big here in Norway, where I live. They got a square named after him in Oslo and there's even a statue of him. He was the first Christian ruler of Norway, although he wasn't really Christian, it was his brother that was but he died in a battle.
      There's a thought,....... LES DARCY---------- VIKING Special forces instructor.

Comment

The Victor Ortiz who fought Andre Berto.

That guy snarled alot and any Viking worth his horns need to know how to snarl.
        Last edited by fitefanSHO; 08-16-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
          The Victor Ortiz who fought Andre Berto.

That guy snarled alot and any Viking worth his horns need to know how to snarl.
          HORNS !!!!,........ lol.....lol...lol........ What Horns ???????... Wait'll Pastrano see's that,....... ....... Oh fightfan !!!!!,.... you classic !!!,....... Old Hollywood eh,..... never let truth get in way of good story............ Actually it was GAULS (oops I hear another Obelix reference coming on), that decorated their helmets with horns and whatnot................................... .................................................. .................................................. ............................ Here's another poser for ya'll,......... If they made an American Asterix & Obelix Movie, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Which two Boxers from history would you pick to Play the two leading characters............................... Butterbean for OBELIX perhaps ....... what do yer reckon fightfan ????

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            Wasn't his brothers name Olaf, I think it was. You're from Norway eh, and here's me complaining about the cold,... oh man even your Summers would turn me into a shivering wreck. No wonder Harald is big where you live, man when I read that bit in his saga about what he did to Irene,...........Irene.. Now there was a piece of work, I pity her for her fate, but that was one woman with an enormous amount of blood on her hands, a completely ruthless individual (I'm not referring from the Saga here),............... Name me one Byzantine ruler who wasn't !!!!!,.......... hey, it's very cool how you get those little thingy's above the letters on his name, it looks better that way, more authentic...... if I knew you were from way up there, I would have understood your relationship with my mate Darcy better,,,,,,,,.................................... .... I do suppose he's not exactly a household name in Oslo,......... but being of Irish heritage,... maybe he's from a place near you,............ After all Dublin is a Viking Town.
            Yeah, Olav The Holy. He died in the Stikklestad battle, where his side won and subsequently Norway was christened. Harald was his half brother and he took part in the battle. And about the "thingy's", its a Norwegian/Scandinavian letter. Å is O. And Ø is something like OE, a sound not many others have. Well, Dublin was founded by Vikings, but Im not sure if they were Norwegian or Danish.

Comment

Yeah, Olav The Holy. He died in the Stikklestad battle, where his side won and subsequently Norway was christened. Harald was his half brother and he took part in the battle. And about the "thingy's", its a Norwegian/Scandinavian letter. Å is O. And Ø is something like OE, a sound not many others have. Well, Dublin was founded by Vikings, but Im not sure if they were Norwegian or Danish.
              Probably Danish, certainly not Swedes, but it's been a while and I'm sure that Dublin became Irish very quickly,.... They're survivors the Irish,.... good DNA for a boxer. ------------------------------------------------sorry about using "thingy" but I was stuck for a word and "thingy" is a good old Australian cure-all so why not. Those types of things are sometimes used for pronounciation marks for Old-English in new books like Beowulf.
              Last edited by McGoorty; 08-16-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Probably Danish, certainly not Swedes, but it's been a while and I'm sure that Dublin became Irish very quickly,.... They're survivors the Irish,.... good DNA for a boxer. ------------------------------------------------sorry about using "thingy" but I was stuck for a word and "thingy" is a good old Australian cure-all so why not. Those types of things are sometimes used for pronounciation marks for Old-English in new books like Beowulf.
                Well both Danes and Norwegians were in Ireland, so I dunno...I know in the battle of Clontarf there were both involved I believe. But maybe moreso Danes than Norwegians. Anyway, I've seen the letter Æ used for Old English names, like Æthelstane. Since Anglo Saxons were partly from Denmark, I see where the connection comes from. They were all either from Denmark, Netherlands or northern Germany.

Comment

Well both Danes and Norwegians were in Ireland, so I dunno...I know in the battle of Clontarf there were both involved I believe. But maybe moreso Danes than Norwegians. Anyway, I've seen the letter Æ used for Old English names, like Æthelstane. Since Anglo Saxons were partly from Denmark, I see where the connection comes from. They were all either from Denmark, Netherlands or northern Germany.
                  Yeah, they're Dipthongs, Old English, called either Englishc or Anglishc, they used 8 diptongs and is an incredibly cool sounding language, especially for poetry. There were 4 or 5 tribes including Frisians and probably some Frankish adventurers along with the ones everybodies heard of. So there were some from everywhere from southern Denmark to Holland. Dublin was the centre of all Vikings and of course there were many other cosmopolitan types. And hard to say which were in charge of Dublin because they were always fighting amongst themselves,........ it doesn't sound like it was a particularly stable period in time,......................... the angles and saxons were also fond of killing each other............................................. .................... I like the 800's to 1000 era, it was cool,.......... from our safe distance anyway,................ and what names,, Skallagrimson,, Edmund Ironside, AEthelstan,. and in particular Ecgfrith, now what's wrong with Ecgfrith, just rolls off the tongue don't it,........... anyhoo.... as they used to say....... wes thu hal.

Comment

SKALLAGRIMSON Eh, Yep, I have read about him. One HELL of a Viking........... But I read about him a long time ago, I have read a fair bit on Harald Hardrada, should have stayed away from the Saxons...lol...... .... I read his saga, my favorite story was when Harald was the head of the Varangian guard. The Empress Irene had the hots for him, but she turned on him, locked him up. Hardrada escapes, but instead of running away, he made his way to the Empress's quarters( he probably had the guards on his side, can't trust them Vikings), and then he Gouged her eyes out and then just walked out of Byzantium. His one mistake was England.
                    If you haven't read the Icelandic Sagas, I highly recommend it. Pretty interesting about Hardrada, I knew he was in the Varangian guard but didn't know that much about his time there.

Comment

Yeah, they're Dipthongs, Old English, called either Englishc or Anglishc, they used 8 diptongs and is an incredibly cool sounding language, especially for poetry. There were 4 or 5 tribes including Frisians and probably some Frankish adventurers along with the ones everybodies heard of. So there were some from everywhere from southern Denmark to Holland. Dublin was the centre of all Vikings and of course there were many other cosmopolitan types. And hard to say which were in charge of Dublin because they were always fighting amongst themselves,........ it doesn't sound like it was a particularly stable period in time,......................... the angles and saxons were also fond of killing each other............................................. .................... I like the 800's to 1000 era, it was cool,.......... from our safe distance anyway,................ and what names,, Skallagrimson,, Edmund Ironside, AEthelstan,. and in particular Ecgfrith, now what's wrong with Ecgfrith, just rolls off the tongue don't it,........... anyhoo.... as they used to say....... wes thu hal.
                      I always thought Edgetho was a cool name, lol. Father of Beowulf.

Comment

Working...
                      X