Tim Witherspoon, after the Bonecrusher loss,,

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Witherspoon, after the Bonecrusher loss,,

Let's talk about Terrible Tim.

After a one-round kayo loss to Bonecrusher Smith in 1986, I find it strange Witherspoon never sought after the World Heavyweight title, he was on a consistent top 10 ratings, at least until in 1992 when he dropped a decision to journeyman Bigfoot Martin.

I knew it wouldnt be possible to secure a fight with Mike Tyson, who fought Witherspoon victims, Tony Tubbs, Frank Bruno and Carl Williams (later spoon defeated) because of that lawsuit with Don King, But Witherspoon himself backed off for interesting match ups in the early 90s such as when offered to fight Razor Ruddock, and the bout with Tony Tucker supposedly in China didnt took place (check out Mike Tyson's facebook page when Mike, Tim, and Tucker took pictures together).

The best time he could have secured another title shot was against Bowe in 1993, I think Spoon is far deserving than another ex-champ Michael Dokes, it was too late when Witherspoon decided to faced tough-level opponents again, Jorge Gonzales, Ray Mercer and Andrew Golota.

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
    Let's talk about Terrible Tim.

After a one-round kayo loss to Bonecrusher Smith in 1986, I find it strange Witherspoon never sought after the World Heavyweight title, he was on a consistent top 10 ratings, at least until in 1992 when he dropped a decision to journeyman Bigfoot Martin.

I knew it wouldnt be possible to secure a fight with Mike Tyson, who fought Witherspoon victims, Tony Tubbs, Frank Bruno and Carl Williams (later spoon defeated) because of that lawsuit with Don King, But Witherspoon himself backed off for interesting match ups in the early 90s such as when offered to fight Razor Ruddock, and the bout with Tony Tucker supposedly in China didnt took place (check out Mike Tyson's facebook page when Mike, Tim, and Tucker took pictures together).

The best time he could have secured another title shot was against Bowe in 1993, I think Spoon is far deserving than another ex-champ Michael Dokes, it was too late when Witherspoon decided to faced tough-level opponents again, Jorge Gonzales, Ray Mercer and Andrew Golota.
    I dunno man, seems he got screwed a lot, got a lot of rotten decisions. At least according to him. At the same time he wasn't so dedicated to training obviously, judging by his physique from the Bruno fight and onwards.

Comment

He fought Tony Tubbs for the #1 contender position and he would have gotten a shot at the title against Tyson if he won. He lost.

Comment

Originally posted by boxkickboxmma View Post
        He fought Tony Tubbs for the #1 contender position and he would have gotten a shot at the title against Tyson if he won. He lost.
        Er, he won that fight. Not sure which fight you were really thinking about.

Comment

Witherspoon took a dive against Smith. I knew it when I watched it live. He was desperate to get away from Don King.

Comment

If we look at the resume of the top 4 heavyweights that time, Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield and Tyson, we'd see contemporaries of Larry Holmes era, ex-WBC and WBA champs of the 80s, but no Witherspoon, Frank Bruno earned more title shots afterwards.

Comment

Really Witherspoon sued Don King after the loss to Smith. He came back and was winning but was basicly blacklisted for the years King had control of the heavyweight titles.

And the Tubbs fight(which he won) was before the second Smith fight, not after.

Comment

Working...
              X