Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Your Fav All Time Amatuer Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Your Fav All Time Amatuer Fighter?

& Why? Past or Present which amatuer boxer do you most enjoy watching?

I remember Breland was knocking everybody out & that was impressive. But when he turned pro, his career, in my opinion, fell short of all the lofty expectations. So it wasn't him.

I remember watching Mitch Green win the New York GG's and John Condon calling the fights. Something about the way he looked, acted and the way he acted with total confidence in the ring made me a life time fan of "Blood". Even today, I enjoy watching his interviews. Funny guy. But it wasn't him either.

Ricky Womack was probably one of the meanest ever amateur fighters. He actually hated people he fought. I remember when he was in them battles with Evander Holyfield, before one of their fights, he walked up to Holyfield and stepped on Holyfield's foot and then grinded it around like he was putting out a cigarette. Holyfield said he was so mad at Womack that he actually had tears in his eyes but held back whacking him until they fought. Womack led a real troubled life, to say the least. He stole, robbed, served time and tragically took his own lfe. But it wan't Womack for me either.

Holyfield stood up to Womack and beat Bennie Heard, Keith Vining & ended up at the top of the heap as the best lightheavyweight in a period that had many fine 178 lbers. But it wasn't him either.

I remember I also liked Clint Jackson, Bernard Taylor, Michael Dokes, Greg Page, John Tate, Leroy Murphy, Skipper Kelp, Larry Donald, Riddick Bowe & Roy Jones. But they weren't my favorite.

My all-time favorite amateur boxer was Leon Spinks. From where he came from to getting that Gold medal was an almost unbelievable achievment. Plus his all action, punches in bunches & from everywhere style appealed to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
      I remember Breland was knocking everybody out & that was impressive. But when he turned pro, his career, in my opinion, fell short of all the lofty expectations. So it wasn't him.

I remember watching Mitch Green win the New York GG's and John Condon calling the fights. Something about the way he looked, acted and the way he acted with total confidence in the ring made me a life time fan of "Blood". Even today, I enjoy watching his interviews. Funny guy. But it wasn't him either.

Ricky Womack was probably one of the meanest ever amateur fighters. He actually hated people he fought. I remember when he was in them battles with Evander Holyfield, before one of their fights, he walked up to Holyfield and stepped on Holyfield's foot and then grinded it around like he was putting out a cigarette. Holyfield said he was so mad at Womack that he actually had tears in his eyes but held back whacking him until they fought. Womack led a real troubled life, to say the least. He stole, robbed, served time and tragically took his own lfe. But it wan't Womack for me either.

Holyfield stood up to Womack and beat Bennie Heard, Keith Vining & ended up at the top of the heap as the best lightheavyweight in a period that had many fine 178 lbers. But it wasn't him either.

I remember I also liked Clint Jackson, Bernard Taylor, Michael Dokes, Greg Page, John Tate, Leroy Murphy, Skipper Kelp, Larry Donald, Riddick Bowe & Roy Jones. But they weren't my favorite.

My all-time favorite amateur boxer was Leon Spinks. From where he came from to getting that Gold medal was an almost unbelievable achievment. Plus his all action, punches in bunches & from everywhere style appealed to me.
      Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Henry Maske

Comment

Jimmy Twite is my favourite amateur fighter.

Comment

Dick McTaggart probably but im not a huge follower of the AM scene

Comment

Greg Page and Mark Breland.

Comment

When you tuned into an amateur show (there were plenty in the 80's) and you knew Breland was gonna fight....it was as exciting as a pro fight. Breland was KO artist as an amateur....and that is highly unusual.

It was also very exciting to know Felix Savon was fighting, even if he was Cuban.

Comment

Papp with an honourable mention to our own Jabs of course

Comment

Working...
                  X