Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has There Ever Been Worst USA Heavyweight's Than Today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
    An unprovable and hackneyed supposition.
    Unprovable? Why did Tommy Z stick with the NFL and not his true passion (boxing) again? He gave up on his passion for his secondary sport of choice why?

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      whatever man, Tony was out of shape. He would beat Haye and Vitali.

Tony beats Chambers, getting him a title shot.
      Haye KOs Wladimir
      Tony TKOs Haye
      Vitali steps up and loses to Thompson by decision.

THOMPSON=UNDIPUTED HEAVYWEIGTH CHAMPION AND GREATEST HEAVYWEIGHT OF HIS ERA.
      thompson couldn't beat eggs

Comment

I think that's unfair to Chambers who, out of any of Wlad's recent opponents, made a genuinely strong effort to prepare himself for a title shot, with back to back wins over Peter and Dimitrenko. He's also game for another shot, and following his disappointing loss to Povetkin has kept in fighting shape.

The same might also be true of Arreola soon, though time will tell on that one.
        chambers is okay ... okay being the perfect description ... he'd have had a better shot against vitali than wlad ... imo slick boxer could give vitali the run around

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
          chambers is okay ... okay being the perfect description ... he'd have had a better shot against vitali than wlad ... imo slick boxer could give vitali the run around

you seen vitali's fight with kirk johnson?

he slicked his way into the second round before getting clobbered
          that's obviously a ten year old example, but i don't think it's too far off in terms of a blueprint fight.

jjohnson perhaps used footspeed more than chambers, who relies on fast hands and reflexes.

a real slickster would have a hell of a time trying to outpoint a man who holds so many physical advantages and has such a solid mastery of distance

you'd need eye catching punches or volume. you aren't going to wear him down or tire him out without pressing the action, he's too economical
          and chambers doesn't have eye catching stuff, so he'd have to spend lots of time in and out of vitali's wheelhouse trying to work hard enough to win the rounds

Comment

Absolutely terrible, America is famous for his Heavyweights, with most of my Tp 20 being American.

The Top HW's of the era are usually American. They've had Sullivan - Jeffries - Johnson - Dempsey - Louis - Marciano - Liston - Ali - Frazier - Holmes - Tyson. Only with the rise of Lennox Lewis, and then the Klitchko's did Americans fall out of the HW scene and be "great"(although they still had Holy.)

So I think it's a recent trend and I have no idea when it will stop as it's like nothing experienced before.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              Absolutely terrible, America is famous for his Heavyweights, with most of my Tp 20 being American.

The Top HW's of the era are usually American. They've had Sullivan - Jeffries - Johnson - Dempsey - Louis - Marciano - Liston - Ali - Frazier - Holmes - Tyson. Only with the rise of Lennox Lewis, and then the Klitchko's did Americans fall out of the HW scene and be "great"(although they still had Holy.)

So I think it's a recent trend and I have no idea when it will stop as it's like nothing experienced before.

you hit it on the head, burner

it makes perfect sense for american athletic talent with real size to head into other sports
              they're steered in that direction literally from birth.

this trend isn't going anywhere

sure, you might have one or two supremely talented and large young people going to boxing, but for every one of them there's thousands heading to play college level basketball and football.
              if you don't make it in boxing you have literally nothing
              if you don't make it out of collegiate football or basketball or baseball you at least have a college degree and your ticket to middle class living for the rest of your life

not to mention nobody is punching these guys in the face at state university

hell, certain positions in basketball (shooters mostly) are like a walk in the park compared to a day at the office as a pro boxer
              baseball players sit around and chew gum and tobacco

football players do take a beating, but the glory american football teams and players are a part of is assumed to be worth it for aspiring young players
              the superbowl is the biggest single event in the country every year
              hundreds of millions of people stop what they are doing and tune in and have a party of it

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                Chambers would give Vitali a lot more problems that Wlad, and make him look pretty bad at times, but I still feel he'd ultimately get outpointed. Chambers fights too much out of a shell, and that doesn't give him the best opportunities to counter punch. He also tends to stand still in one place too often and rely on his head movement to avoid punches, another no no against Vitali. On the other hand, he has excellent speed and timing on his shots and a keen boxing brain. But I still think there's a bit too much going against him there.

Comment

Originally posted by fordhamboxing View Post
                  Unprovable? Why did Tommy Z stick with the NFL and not his true passion (boxing) again? He gave up on his passion for his secondary sport of choice why?
                  One (not very good) boxer whose professed "passion" for boxing is clearly only skin deep doesn't exactly prove your point. Any more than Sonny Bill Williams proves that all the best Australasian heavies are going into rugby.

If someone wants to be a boxer they become a boxer, and stick with it. But even supposing you're right, what of it? Sergio Martinez could have become a professional soccer player where he'd no doubt have earned a hell of a lot more money for a lot less physical abuse. He chose to become a boxer instead (at the age of 20) and is now P4P no 3 in the world.

See here's a perfect example of an athlete from a mainstream sport going into boxing at a relatively late age and succeeding at the highest level. So why don't you hear any SA or European boxing fans moaning that all the best welterweights, middleweights and supermiddleweights are going into soccer? They have a far better case for saying so.

My guess is because it would smack of whiney excuse making.

Comment

So why don't you hear any SA or European boxing fans moaning that all the best welterweights, middleweights and supermiddleweights are going into soccer? They have a far better case for saying so.
                    Maybe they are.....then again, can you really call guys who play a girl's sport "athletes"? :thinking9:

Poet

Comment

no....

Comment

Working...
                      X