No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn vs Julian Jackson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    I've seen his fights with Eubank, Doug DeWitt, McClellan, Nicky Piper, Michael Watson, Iran Barkley and Steve Collins. Now I seriously suggest you fak off.

Benn outpunched himself against Watson btw. And the ref stopped it too soon, Benn was on his feet and obviously ready to go on. Another bs English stoppage. But I know Watson would get to him anyway. Benn's technique improved a lot after that fight, when he realised he can't just knock everybody out. In the first Eubank fight he was in bad shape and gassed out.
    He didn't gas out against Eubank. He had 6 shades of 5hit beaten out of him and couldn't continue because of the punishment he'd taken. It had **** all to do with stamina and everything to do with Eubank being a lot tougher than anyone had anticipated.

You're right about the Watson fight, he did punch himself out. He'd been hitting fresh air all night and taking an a55 whipping in the process. The stoppage was the right call though, you don't have to wait until a guy is out cold or flat on his back to know he's had enough for one day.

Now I seriously suggest you fak off bro.... and learn about word comprehension. Then, next time you would see that all I did was say Benn was a poor boxer, which in terms of technical ability, he was. It can't be denied. He got where he did by virtue of "**** your pants scary" levels of power and balls so big he most likely carried them in a wheelbarrow! For you to claim otherwise is nonsense, and contrary to both public opinion and video evidence.

Originally posted by physiker View Post
    LOL about Oakland.
    But it does seem to be a worldwide phenomenon that I call home cooking.

I agree about Ward. Just can't be a fan of someone who'll either hold all night or head butt his way to victory. Unless he is fighting a fellow traveler.

I'd love to see Ward vs Hopkins. Could be the first double KD from simultaneous head butts. Ward is younger, he'd get up first and win.
    Hopkins vs Ward would be the only fight right now that could rival Haye vs Valuev for least punches thrown although, like you say, there'd still be a good amount of violence!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
      He didn't gas out against Eubank. He had 6 shades of 5hit beaten out of him and couldn't continue because of the punishment he'd taken. It had **** all to do with stamina and everything to do with Eubank being a lot tougher than anyone had anticipated.

You're right about the Watson fight, he did punch himself out. He'd been hitting fresh air all night and taking an a55 whipping in the process. The stoppage was the right call though, you don't have to wait until a guy is out cold or flat on his back to know he's had enough for one day.

Now I seriously suggest you fak off bro.... and learn about word comprehension. Then, next time you would see that all I did was say Benn was a poor boxer, which in terms of technical ability, he was. It can't be denied. He got where he did by virtue of "**** your pants scary" levels of power and balls so big he most likely carried them in a wheelbarrow! For you to claim otherwise is nonsense, and contrary to both public opinion and video evidence.

Hopkins vs Ward would be the only fight right now that could rival Haye vs Valuev for least punches thrown although, like you say, there'd still be a good amount of violence!
      Gee, this guy is good. If you had seen as many Benn interviews as I did, he said he didn't prepare like a champion against Eubank in the first fight. And its true, he had a tendency to go and party and spend an entire day at the hairdresser saloon (before the Watson fight), so its no wonder his stamina didn't hold up in such tough fights. But he improved that too. It was not long after that that he moved up to 168...I imagine a big part of it was that he felt he could make that weight more comfortably than 160. Another part was ofc that Eubank had already moved up and he desperately wanted a rematch.

Comment

Well gentlemen, if I could ask a side question.

What about Steve Collins who fought both these guys and won all of them.
        I've seen people rate Collins very low--despite these 4 wins of these 2 greats or near-greats. Others have him up there. I saw a great youtube vid highlighting these 4 fights.

Seemed like he had a LaMotta chin, because they both landed some bombs on him!

What do you think of Collins in this equation? (And let's not get Calz in to it, as a fighter should be able to retire when he wants to, esp if he's got medical problems, thanks.)

Comment

Well you indirectly bring up a hidden factor.

When needed, Benn was willing to get dirty.
          With McClellan, I saw many rabbit punches. Together with a horrible home ref, led to the demise of McClellan. He said as early as the 2nd round he could not comprehend his corner's instructions.

So maybe this matchup--like many--would come down to where it was held.

And I thought you might be kidding, but I looked up Papatoetoe, NZ. A real town near Auckland. Been there--was very nice along with the people. Wish I were there instead...

But it's nearly a boxing name as in toe to toe.
          The ref or rabbot punches has little to do with the out come to this fight,btw its one of three fights i eva bought a ringside ticket for .
          An important fact about this fight that always seems to get forgot is that Gerald McClellan hadn't prepared properly., He had fallen out with Manny Steward whom indecently thought the Benn fight was a big risk , and he wound up with a corner that included a guy he had met just three weeks earlier and who had never been a second before.
          I can't help thinking someone like Steward would have realized long before the fight was over that something was wrong because television replays show McClellan blinking in his corner from midway through the fight !
          Another thing that gets trivialized is Benn had been in these types of fights before and McClellan hadn't ,A lot of you guys are forgetting that Benn wasnt a bad fighter/puncher also ,and once Benn had taken all McClellan huge bombs, Benn started landing some heavy shots him self ,McClellan or his new corner hadn't planned for this and had no plan B !
          These where massive factors in the tragic outcome to this fight ,a shame as if the outcome had of been better this fight could easy go down as one of the best fights of all time !
          Last edited by CiganoBoxer; 05-09-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mrpedigree;10508905]The ref or rabbot punches has little to do with the out come to this fight,

Stopped reading there, naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
              jacksons eye was bothering him against graham, he wasnt getting hurt by punches to the chin. i agree jackson would not be able to take flush shots form benn consistantly. but i think benn would take jacksons punches even worse, in fact i dont think he would take them at all. jackson imo has a light edge in punch resistance over benn and a big edge in power, benn wa s agreat puncher but jackson was the greatest... ever.

on top of that he was more skilled. he like benn got overconfident at times and fought wild, but when he knew he had a dangerous guy in front of him he boxed very well.
              Some valid points, but Benn would engage him at close range, which was always his strategy with punchers and whether Jackson was a more skilled boxer or not, i'd still say Nigel was the better 'in' fighter of the two. Sure, if Benn got caught flush, he'd go, and i'm not insisting this couldn't happen but i just can't see him inviting it the way Norris and Graham did.

Comment

Stopped reading there, naturally.
                McClellan said to his corner that after round 2 he knew something was wrong with his brain.

Gerald McClellan:
                http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...rald+mcclellan

Comment

Originally posted by Toney616 View Post
                  McClellan said to his corner that after round 2 he knew something was wrong with his brain.

Gerald McClellan:
                  http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...rald+mcclellan
                  I know as i made the same post in the thread...try reading through the posts

Comment

Ofcourse there was something wrong with his brain! He just ate some of Dark Destroyer's bombs! Please, anyone who says Benn wasn't winning that fight when it got stopped is a fanboy or a hater. Yes, so MAYBE he got some preferrential treatment from the stupid ref, who didn't even speak English except for a few words. BUT the point still remains, after the first round and with exception of that 8th round kd, which was more of a case of being out of balance, it was all Nigel from there on. Learn to deal with it, McClellan fans! Hell, I'm a fan of the poor guy myself, but I just don't get all the negativity Benn-haters and McClellan-lovers have been giving this fight and Benn's achievement. Regardless of the tragic circumstances, you must give credit to Nigel for coming back so strongly after nearly getting koed!
                    Last edited by Pastrano; 05-09-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
                      Benn was an awful boxer. No jab, no defense, wild and wide with most of his work and his head movement consisted of ducking down so low his a55 was almost touching the canvas! He relied on his power, and a big pair of balls and it took him a lot further than his actual boxing ability ever could have.

On the subject of chins though, I think you're right. A common opponent with truly world class power? Gerald McClellan. Benn survived barely, Jackson got blown away.

I fancy Jackson by mid round KO. Benn was too wild and loaded up on everything. Julian Jackson was a competent boxer as well as a big puncher so all needs to do is keep his hands high, his chin low and wait for the right opening. One well placed right hand later.......
                      I disagree completely.

Benn had an absolutely lovely left jab - just see his fights with Amparo, Quinones, Williams, 6ft5 Morgan, Malinga (who had the longest jab in the division, Morgan aside), and Wharton. His defense against Eubank in their rematch was incredible - slipping, rolling and weaving with EVERYTHING Eubank threw from the outside and 90+% of what Eubank got off inside. He made it appear as if Eubank was throwing 12 rounds of inaccurate shoeshiners.

He was brilliant against dangerous powerhouse Wharton - darting in and out of range, leading off with his jab - doubling it beautifully, showing nice footwork, bobbing on the ropes, countering off the ropes.

He also had a very high landing % against DeWitt and Eubank in 1990.

Benn's right hand was very fast and very untelegraphed. I particularly like the counter overarm right punch timed to absolute perfection that flattened Sherry and Malinga - very short punch.

Comment

Working...
                      X