Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ike Ibeabuchi-what if?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As argued by a couple already, people tend to get seduced with undefeated prospects who have yet to face A-calibre fighters. I just think Lewis was too skilled and experienced for Ibeabuchi. As Jabs said, Ike was already damaged goods after that brutal war with Tua. With such an agressive style and lacking defense, one can only assume that his demise was immenent. Lewis would've got the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Everyone who has potential but is never around long enough to live up to it gets massively overrated. Just look at Valero now, people say he would knock out everyone at 140 and maybe beat Pacquiao.
      Absolutely true. All these claims of Ike's greatness is based almost entirely on speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
        Who did Lewis beat in his second title reign?? Lets see his list: first McCall-quit crying, emotional wreck from cocaine at the time. Then Akinwande and his hugging episode, Lewis got another free win by dq. Golota had suffered a panic attack right before their fight and was injected with LYDOCAINE, later he had to be revived on the way to hospital after the fight. Not from the ko, but the lydocaine. FAK, did this guy have luck or what??!! I mean Lewis. Then Briggs, who as we know got no skills, he's all power and he nearly stopped Lewis in the first round. Credit to Lewis for regaining his composure, but it was not that hard since Briggs has asthma and was done after the first 2 rounds. Then my man Zeljko Mavrovic, who accidentally weighed less for his fight with Lewis than ANY previous fight since he turned pro. Blame it on his silly macro diet. He gave Lewis some very rough time, but was ultimately too weakened to pull off an upset.

The Holyfield fights were his probably best outings, but mostly because Holyfield was already past it and had stamina problems. Then he beat a coupla bums in Grant and Botha and had no major problems against the 5'9 Tua. The Rahman fight 2 was a good performance, but he was hungry for revenge and Rahman was proven overated since. Then the Tyson farce came and then Vitali K beat him up but he got cut by either a punch or headbutt or likely both. Thats it. I don't hate Lewis but I find him grossly overated by many people, most of them British.
        Nice job using convenient rationalization to minimize someones career. Why do you think that McCall cried, Akinwande held, or Golota panicked? It's because they realized they were in the ring with a superior talent and became mentally undone. But I guess it works better for you to just assume that Lennox was simply lucky. Of course nobody says the same thing when all those opponents froze in the ring against Tyson.

Comment

This board would be a better place if we could somehow prevent Lennox Lewis's name from ever being mentioned... I think we should sticky a Lennox Lewis thread we can all write our spiel and be done with the subject.

Given how few legit matches we have to go on with Ike it's hard to say how he would end up. I will say he clearly had some offensive skill to go with the talent as he had no problem feeding Byrd who is tough to hit. His fight with Tua showed he had a solid chin but I displayed his flaws. Tua could take a punch and give a punch as good as just about anyone but he wasn't a very good boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry
            McCall was only days out of a drug-rehab which is why Lewis agreed to fight him.
            Akinwande floored Lewis with Lewis just as guilty of holding as Hank was.
            Golota was a bum who was renowned for panic-attacks, low-blows, headbutts etc

At least those fighters who froze against Mike Tyson was legitimate world-class contenders who was at the "Top of their game" unlike Lewis who avoided every top contender who was at the top of their game his whole career so was stripped of every championship belt..

Ibeabuchi would have knocked Lewis into the ground like a tent-peg.. his victories over David Tua who was at his peak weighing 226lbs compared to the night he was "The fattest man to ever fight for the title when he fought Lewis weighing 250lbs.. Chris Byrd was hammered by Ibeabuchi yet Lewis was stripped of the IBF belt for refusing to fight Chris Byrd which says it all about the career of Lennox Lewis... Lewis turned down a career highest payday of £13 million to fight Mike Tyson in 1996 yet Frank Bruno defended his title as champion against Tyson for £3 million yet Lewis struggled and was fortunate to beat Bruno so Ike Ibeabuchi would have no problems taking care of Lewis.
            Scott either didnt see the McCall fight or he just is a major Lewis nuthugger. McCall was actually beating Lewis in the first 2 rounds before the trauma set in. McCall was naturally more talented than Lewis-yes, I say that! Its his coke addiction that didn't let him build a legacy and a solid career once he won the belt. But he has proved himself after that with a few impressive performances, such as koing Akinwande himself with one punch, koing Maskaev in one round and beating Oquendo at 45.

And about Golota, he was far from a bum but he just couldnt keep it together. Dunno what his problem was, but he was seriously faked up in the head. Lewis was/is a lumbering bear who thanks to his big reach was able to land punches he otherwise never could. His balance, speed and footwork were all bad. He was so incomplete, McCall was ten times more complete. And above all-Lewis fought dirty. He was famous for holding and hitting and he obviously headbutted Vitali coz he was behind in the fight. He just wanted to stop him, at any cost.
            Last edited by Pastrano; 04-29-2011, 07:13 AM.

Comment

People keep talking about the mysticism of Ike and the reason he is overrated is because he was undefeated and a lot of his win's were journeyman, yet Lennox Lewis had the same opportunity early in his career yet he was not as dominant and his skills weren't as clearly visible as Ike and he was poleaxed in just a few short rounds by Oliver McCall, something that never came close to happening to Ike.

For the number of fights Ike fought, he had some good heavyweights in Byrd and Tua. Tua might be one dimensional but he was still a top contender at the time he fought Ike and in prime condition.

The Valero comparison would make more sense if Valero fought just ONE guy that was decent. Antonio DeMarco is the only guy on his resume that is halfway decent and he's a C fighter, whereas Tua and Byrd were very good fighters.

I highly doubt that Lennox would fight a guy like Ike unless Ike had some sort of major life changing travesty, and was arrested and came out of jail 40 pounds overweight. Maybe then and even then he has a punchers chance to give him glazy eyes.

Comment

funny how this turned into a thread for all the deluded Lewis haters,make it a sticky so they can all come in here and spread their obsessive hatred with one another,that will keep the trolls out of the thread where good posters actually want a real debate

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
                  funny how this turned into a thread for all the deluded Lewis haters,make it a sticky so they can all come in here and spread their obsessive hatred with one another,that will keep the trolls out of the thread where good posters actually want a real debate
                  What reason does anybody have to hate and troll on Lennox Lewis? I am just saying what I believe is the truth. The OP asked how Ike would fare against Lewis and I believe that Ike would have knocked him out, but at the same time I do not believe Lewis would even step into the ring with him to begin with.

Comment

Tua wasn't as onedimensional as everyone thinks. In fact, in that fight with Ike he showed he had some boxing skills and beautifully utilized his short right. I scored that fight a draw really, but I can see Ike winning it as well since many rounds were very close. Tua came on too late, but he did win many rounds still. Beautiful fight, a classic. And what about BYRD?! Undefeated, at his prime, very slick and tricky as hell...and still, what happens when he fights Ike? He tries to clown but gets put on queer street, Davy Jones' locker or however you wanna say it! I think that should be all the proof one needs, that BOLO punch Ike did him in with, for everyone to see that Ike really DID have it. Same kinda punch woulda knocked the lights out of Lewis or at least wobbled him.
                    Last edited by Pastrano; 04-29-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Lewis by UD or late round stoppage

What are the facts that would support such an argument. I'm not attacking or discrediting your perspective. I'm just curious to see how your opinion of formed.

My personal opinion would stems from watching both fighters. I too loved the idea if Ike and Lewis but lets get done some facts first.

Lewis is 6'5 Ike 6'2
                      Reach 84" Ike 76"

Common opponent Tua which they both went 12 rounds with. Ike went toe to toe an one a decision. Lewis went 12 round also also won a decision but on the cards it wasn't even close.

Byrd was a highlight reel KO for IKE Lewis would have done much of the same if they had met. Byrd has lost to all competent larger heavyweights.

Style wise lewis would break you down with a jab. double jab to body or head. In the mid to later rounds he would open up with his better punch, the right cross. another lethal weapon was his right uppercut which was almost equally as devastating for opponents reaching in, or on the inside. He also could fight inside and either tall or short depending on what suited him.

Style wise Ike had a very offensive style. Very good with a piston snapping jab decent right hand. He would break you down with the Jab and try to light you up for power shots, his hooks. His hooks where set up by his jab. He had a decent right hand but nothing special. Ike also had a good work rate and was built like a tank. One might say almost like a body builder which made him proficient on his feet but not nimble. Ike also fought on the outside very tall.

Lewis defense was his jab. He had decent ability to cover up he would hold and lean to slow the pace at times good reaction time getting out of the way of shots.

Ike defense was his jab also. but had a poor ability covering up he would use good head movement to substitute. I would say his fitness also allowed him to take punishing shots from time to time .

IMHO I see the fight going two ways a majority decision for lewis Or a late Ko by lewis.

Reasons being. When both fighters set up their offence with the same weapon
                      the person with the natural advantage usually wins. Lewis being taller with longer reach and throwing a jab down hill would eventually begin to discourage Ike with his jab Ike's being thrown uphill which is much more difficult. Considering Ike can't time him with a KO right cross, it only makes lewis's job easier. Foe Ike to throw a right hand he would also have to reach wish poses many problems, Lewis's Uppercut or his right hand. With the jab going into the later round a decent right hand is soon to follow. Ike would try to bull his way inside use head movement but considering the reach advantage of lewis and his ability to tie up and use his right uppercut Ike would always be the one walking him down but not instilling effective aggression. Lewis would stay on the outside because of his shaky chin BUT Ike doesn't posses something exceptional to bridge that gap. His work rate would keep him out of trouble but he wasn't slick or quick enough with his legs to set up his shots. If Ike pushed the action it would only be to his disadvantage his main weapon would be nerf'ed and he would leave himself open to more punishment, which is a double edged sword wearing on his stamina leading him into a late round KO or TKO.

just my thoughts what are yours?
                      Last edited by Dudley; 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X