No announcement yet.

H2H 167 Fitz greater then any 160-175?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    H2h is all completely opinionated plus Fitz fought under a different set of rules to what modern boxers do /did, can't really say he would beat say Michael Spinks and you can't say Spinks would beat Fitz because it was a much different sport back then.
    thats what i want, i want opinions, id like to hear the general concensious on who would beat fitz and why.

what diffrence do you see as far as rules?

bigger gloves, and opponet to corner on KD, anythign else?

i did say that fitz would be fighting under the ruels of his opponets. so create an opinon of how bigger gloves and going to the corner on a KD would effect fitz and share.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboy
      excellent topic and well thought out.. Fitzsimmons is one of my favorite turn of the century (1900) fighters and i feel it would be difficult for almost any fighter to beat him, however based on "styles-make-fights" i would take Gene Tunney to defeat him with Tunney being the first scientific fighter, i see Tunney using his incredible mobility & footwork along with his jab & right-cross to win a 15rd decision over the flat-footed Ruby Robert although it is not carved in stone that he could succeed in doing it as Fitz could end the fight at any time with his dynamite fists. but as i said if based on styles i give Tunney and his game-plan of stick-and-move a very good chance of victory. the others you named may just be up against it due to their styles against Fitz style.
      Id agree with tunny in similar fassion to corbett just out pointing him and possibly winning a UD. as well tunny took some monster shots from dempsey and still got up fitz might be able to end it any time with his fists but id say fitz would have to put tunney down a few times before its over giving tunney the edge in making it through 15 rds for a UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Fitzsimmons was a very tough SOB. No-one at MW would ever KO him that's a fact.

He was quite an aggressive fighter but, was very crafty in the ring despite some physical disadvantages.

As Sonny said I would take. Tunney to beat him. I think he would lose a comfortable decision to Langford. I think Charles would also decison him.

I think Conn would be winning an easy decision then Ruby would eventually catch him with a "Solar Plexus Punch" that would end proceedings.

The more modern fighters mentioned such as Hearns would win decisions over 12 rounds but, in Fitz day he(Bob) would use his uncanny ring skills and wrestling etc to wear them down and eventually get the KO.

Another feat of Fitz is his incredible conditioning I don't have a source for this but, I've heard in training camp he would regularly run marathons?
        I agree with the Conn out come, i dont really see Conn making it past round 8-10 some where in there fitz will catch him.

vrs charles i can see a decision he could stand with fitz alittle and wouldnt have to spend the fight dancing around wearing himself out by the later rounds but hed still have to be very careful in the later rounds.

lanford.....here i see an all out brawl with wrestling and lots of hard punches landing cleanly, i really dont see this ending any other way then one of them being knocked out, and with langfords smaller size and better leverage with wrestling he might just knock fitz out but at the same time langford didnt seem to have the fastest foot work leaving fitz the oppertunity to pick off some good counters while langfords comeing in. but thats just how i see it really im torn between the 2 either fitz using his reach and a wait and see style to pick off counters till he has the perfect shot or langford just rolling him over with his supior wrestling and good punching power.

P4P id put langford above fitz but head to head i think fitz could take him with his reach and power.

why do you think the modern boxers would win over fitz? diffrent rules? better style? better combo punching? all of the above?

and he wasnt running marathons from what i understand the first day of training camp for jeffries he wen out and ran 15 miles......then he said **** that and started doing 8 miles out and walking 8 miles back or 15 miles alternating run one mile walk one mile run one mile walk one or some times 7-8 miles alternating between sprinting the distance between tele poles and and walking the distance between poles....and then hed rest and bike an extra 30 miles or something.

overall great posts from every one thanks for sharing.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-20-2011, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
          I agree with the Conn out come, i dont really see Conn making it past round 8-10 some where in there fitz will catch him.

vrs charles i can see a decision he could stand with fitz alittle and wouldnt have to spend the fight dancing around wearing himself out by the later rounds but hed still have to be very careful in the later rounds.

lanford.....here i see an all out brawl with wrestling and lots of hard punches landing cleanly, i really dont see this ending any other way then one of them being knocked out, and with langfords smaller size and better leverage with wrestling he might just knock fitz out but at the same time langford didnt seem to have the fastest foot work leaving fitz the oppertunity to pick off some good counters while langfords comeing in. but thats just how i see it really im torn between the 2 either fitz using his reach and a wait and see style to pick off counters till he has the perfect shot or langford just rolling him over with his supior wrestling and good punching power.

P4P id put langford above fitz but head to head i think fitz could take him with his reach and power.

why do you think the modern boxers would win over fitz? diffrent rules? better style? better combo punching? all of the above?

and he wasnt running marathons from what i understand the first day of training camp for jeffries he wen out and ran 15 miles......then he said **** that and started doing 8 miles out and walking 8 miles back or 15 miles alternating run one mile walk one mile run one mile walk one or some times 7-8 miles alternating between sprinting the distance between tele poles and and walking the distance between poles....and then hed rest and bike an extra 30 miles or something.

overall great posts from every one thanks for sharing.
          In a Modern bout, especially 12 rounds with little wrestling etc It isn't exactly Fitz' turf, he could still get a KO win but, his chances are decreased significantly.

In his time he could use his wrestling to wear his opponents down making KO's in his favour much more likely in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X