Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tua vs. The Greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Johnson fan but I don't see how anyone could have him beating Tua.

Chances are Jack would not be able to rough / tie Tua up like he did smaller foes because Tua is the stronger man and may be able to get the better of him in that area, also Jack had great defense but it mostly consisted of clinching, parrying and using footwork to get away, Tua had great combinations which would reduce the effectiveness of parrying to an extent and he could cut the ring in half. Jack may outbox him for a little while but Tua is bound to catch up to him eventually, which is not good news for him.

Thought I'd write on this first, honestly fount it confusing on how people would have Jack winning, feel free to enlighten me though.

Also take in mind these are not Jack's conditions, this is a 12 round fight.
    Last edited by NChristo; 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      size is very important in boxing. does size decide everything? of course not. size can be overcome. but there's a reason why boxing is one of the few sports that has weight divisions.

with size advantages , you have to take into account styles and attributes.

with a super quick boxer like ali or someone as well rounded as larry holmes , size will not be much of a factor. they can find ways to overcome it.

but if you're talking about a slugger/brawler type or someone not very strong or someone not very quickfooted , a size advantage will have more affect.
      Size matters a little bit but talent matters more I think. Marciano had more talent then Tua. I think Marcaino would give Tua a bad beating. Look at Dempsey vs Willard, 50 or 60 pounds weight advantage. Dempsey quickley stopped Willard, Why did Willard just not simply impose his size on Dempsey?

Comment

everytime he stepped up in class he lost huh?

byrd beat him. lennox beat him.

ibeabuchi is disputable and i (along with a lot of people) thought he won that one.

who else? you do realize how many top 10 contenders and future belt holders tua beat right?

oleg maskaev , hasim rahman , fres oquendo , john ruiz........
        The top 3 fighters he faced were Lewiz, Byrd and Ibeabuchi and he lost each time, he simply isn't in the same class of fighters you named who were beyond good contenders, though I'd say he'd have a good chance with a select few.
        Last edited by RubenSonny; 02-25-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
          The top 3 fighters he faced were Lewiz, Byrd and Ibeabuchi and he lost each time, he simply isn't in the same class of fighters you named who were beyond good contenders, though I'd say he'd have a good chance with a select few.
          what classes are byrd , lewis and ibeabuchi?

please clarify.

you can't just say "oh these are the 3 fighters he lost to so everytime he stepped up in class he lost"

lewis is in a class by himself as an atg hof level fighter.

everyone else is just good to very good.

how is fighting byrd a step up in class to fighting maskaev?

how is fighting ibeabuchi a step up in class to fighting rahman?

see the point?

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            I'm a Johnson fan but I don't see how anyone could have him beating Tua.

Chances are Jack would not be able to rough / tie Tua up like he did smaller foes because Tua is the stronger man and may be able to get the better of him in that area, also Jack had great defense but it mostly consisted of clinching, parrying and using footwork to get away, Tua had great combinations which would reduce the effectiveness of parrying to an extent and he could cut the ring in half. Jack may outbox him for a little while but Tua is bound to catch up to him eventually, which is not good news for him.

Thought I'd write on this first, honestly fount it confusing on how people would have Jack winning, feel free to enlighten me though.

Also take in mind these are not Jack's conditions, this is a 12 round fight.
            plus jack didn't have a very good chin.

hell , a middleweight stanley ketchel dropped him. yes i know jack was taking it easy on stanley (it was an exhibition and they had a "gentleman's agreement) but still he dropped him.

though jack did make him pay by taking out half of his teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
              Size matters a little bit but talent matters more I think. Marciano had more talent then Tua. I think Marcaino would give Tua a bad beating. Look at Dempsey vs Willard, 50 or 60 pounds weight advantage. Dempsey quickley stopped Willard, Why did Willard just not simply impose his size on Dempsey?
              maybe willard would have lasted longer if dempsey didn't have a horseshoe in his glove.

you know we can list a ton of fights where a smaller man beat the bigger man. it still doesn't mean size advantage doesn't matter.

more often than not it does.

Comment

No 180-190lb HW no matter how good he was is taking very many flush prime Tua shots thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                  No 180-190lb HW no matter how good he was is taking very many flush prime Tua shots thats for sure.
                  rocky might. hard to tell though.

his chin is very durable but i don't know if it would be against modern heavyweight power.

Comment

rocky might. hard to tell though.

his chin is very durable but i don't know if it would be against modern heavyweight power.
                    I highly doubt he could do it, I know how he is viewed now that he is gone but he was no superman.....it just doesn't seem realistically possible that he could stand there trading with Tua and get the best of exchanges.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                      I highly doubt he could do it, I know how he is viewed now that he is gone but he was no superman.....it just doesn't seem realistically possible that he could stand there trading with Tua and get the best of exchanges.
                      even if his chin could hold up , i seriously doubt his skin would.

rocky's face was turned to hamburger a few times by guys not as powerful tbh.

Comment

Working...
                      X