Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Do You Rate Higher, Tunney or Chavez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Do You Rate Higher, Tunney or Chavez?

Who should be ranked higher on a ATG list and be remembered as a greater fighter?
    Chavez
    43.75%
    Tunney
    56.25%

Tunney was definitely the greater boxer, as I see it. As fighters, he's better than Chavez --- however, I can see a fairly strong case put forward where Chavez has the longer list of accomplishments.

It's an open-debate, IMO. I could make a legit case for Tunney being more accomplished, but I'd have a harder time calling Chavez the better fighter, on the other hand.

I think I would go with Tunney overall. I still classify him as the best LHW ever, head-to-head.

Comment

Pound for Pound I'd say Chavez.

Comment

I say Chavez, both on resume and skill. Tunney's an ATG, but his two wins over a fading Dempsey don't compare to that long list of victims that Chavez piled up.

Damn, I forgot that Tunney beat Greb twice...that makes it trickier...

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
          Tunney was definitely the greater boxer, as I see it. As fighters, he's better than Chavez --- however, I can see a fairly strong case put forward where Chavez has the longer list of accomplishments.

It's an open-debate, IMO. I could make a legit case for Tunney being more accomplished, but I'd have a harder time calling Chavez the better fighter, on the other hand.

I think I would go with Tunney overall. I still classify him as the best LHW ever, head-to-head.
          well said.. nice analysis.

Comment

Gene Tunney. He beat better opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              I say Chavez, both on resume and skill. Tunney's an ATG, but his two wins over a fading Dempsey don't compare to that long list of victims that Chavez piled up.

Damn, I forgot that Tunney beat Greb twice...that makes it trickier...
              Tunney also has wins over, Carpentier, Gibbons, Loughran and he also officially beat Greb 4 times. Depending on how you see those results.

Comment

Tunney for me. His best wins are better than Chaves's imo, tho JC has a great resume. The Fighting Marine also looks the better fighter in the eye test if u ask me

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  Tunney for me. His best wins are better than Chaves's imo, tho JC has a great resume. The Fighting Marine also looks the better fighter in the eye test if u ask me
                  Yeah, Tunney was great. Only Ezzard Charles I would take to beat him at LHW.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Yeah, Tunney was great. Only Ezzard Charles I would take to beat him at LHW.
                    Im not even sure id do that! Probably come to think of it but its a great fight that one innit!

Comment

Working...
                    X