No announcement yet.

Boxing Short Stories

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    Rocky Marciano in retirement loved to hang around with millionaires and wasn't the fastest to pick up the bill, that said Rocky was very generous to his own and just figured if a millionaire wants to hang around with him he should pay for the privilage.

One day he told the guy he was with to get the car and that it would be nice if Georgie Abrams got it. Abrams was parking cars having fallen on hard times and Rocky wanted the businessman to give him a large tip.
    So the business asks the hotel porter who being an arsehole calls out "Hey punchie George, hurry up and get this car"
    This naturally infuriates Rocky who then tells his "friend" to hit the son of a ***** hotel porter or he will.
    Now this sets the friend the lovely conundrum of:
    1) He hits the porter and gets his butt kicked
    2) He hits the porter and goes to jail for assault
    3) He lets Rocky hit the porter and is an accessory to murder.

He took a long time calming Rocky down.
    Lol nice one bud, i love hearing these sort of stories!

Comment

Met Sonny Liston in the 60s in London and found him to be a nice man, that said I was very very prepared to like him

My favourite Liston story involves Reg Gutteridge the English TV commentator who I assume you gents over the pond know?

One night Liston drink taken was laying down the law about how weak and gutless the British were when Reg stopped him and said "OK tough guy, can you do this?"
      Then Reg grapped an ice pick and rammed it repeatedly into his leg up to the hilt.
      The colour passed from Sonny's face and he looked a little faint and wasn't too keen to take up the challenge.
      A little later Reg expalined to him that he had lost his real leg during the D Day landings.
      Lol Genius! I can just picture that ***** goin down!

Comment

Terry Downes managed to get matched with Dick Tiger in his 3rd or 4th fight.
        Now Dick had been fighting in the UK for about 18 months and struggling with the weather etc had managed to lose around half his dozen fights in the UK, so no challenge there right? Tiger could always be a little inconsistant but tonight was a good night and he proceeded to nearly kill Downes who after 5 or 6 rounds was stretchered out of the ring.
        Whilst being carried back to the changing room a journalist asked as they do,
        "Obviously a set back Terry any thoughts on who your next fight is going to be against?"
        Terry replied "Yeah, the c#nt that set this one up for me"

Comment

Terry Downes managed to get matched with Dick Tiger in his 3rd or 4th fight.
          Now Dick had been fighting in the UK for about 18 months and struggling with the weather etc had managed to lose around half his dozen fights in the UK, so no challenge there right? Tiger could always be a little inconsistant but tonight was a good night and he proceeded to nearly kill Downes who after 5 or 6 rounds was stretchered out of the ring.
          Whilst being carried back to the changing room a journalist asked as they do,
          "Obviously a set back Terry any thoughts on who your next fight is going to be against?"
          Terry replied "Yeah, the c#nt that set this one up for me"
          Lol keep em coming GLC!

Hey u dont know anything about the Liston and Marciano ones i was blethering about do u

Comment

I'll scour my addled brain, got 100s up there floating around, its the typing thats does for me!
            Have you read In This Corner by Peter Heller? If you haven't you should, think it would be right up your alley.

Comment

The Liston one i've heard and I believe it was Al Weill his manager who was meant to have slapped Marciano. Can't see that one myself but know that Marciano hated him and was probably the main reason he pulled the plug when he did.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                Lol keep em coming GLC!

Hey u dont know anything about the Liston and Marciano ones i was blethering about do u
                http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/BE058784.html

The story behind that picture is a cracker too if you havent heard it

Comment

http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/BE058784.html

The story behind that picture is a cracker too if you havent heard it
                  Moore and Pastrano were the equivalent of chalk and cheese as ring mechanics. Archie was the crafty old spider trying to catch the fly. Willie was more than happy to be the fly, flitting in and out, dancing all around and pecking away with the jab. He boxed quite beautifully and Moore couldn’t find the one hammer blow that would end proceedings. Not that Pastrano escaped without experiencing Archie’s special brand of kidology. Chatting away to Willie in the second round, Moore repeatedly complimented his opponent on his dancing skills. “You’re looking good, kid. You’re the next champ. Dance, dance pretty, Willie.” Flattered and mesmerised, Willie danced and really began to put on a show. It was classic hypnotism. Then he heard the barking command, “Stand still!” and his brain went into gridlock. He stood still and Moore smashed him with a right hand that left Willie sitting on the bottom rope. Pastrano didn’t stand still after that. He shut his ears to all further praise and boxed his way to a very creditable draw.

Comment

I'll scour my addled brain, got 100s up there floating around, its the typing thats does for me!
                    Have you read In This Corner by Peter Heller? If you haven't you should, think it would be right up your alley.
                    Yeah? I'll check it out, was planning on getting some new books at the end of the month anyway, havent read a book in ages until i picked up my Hatton autobiography at the start of the week and re read that now im back in the book zone! Started reading a very old Marciano book i was given years ago and Frank by Bruno

Comment

Moore and Pastrano were the equivalent of chalk and cheese as ring mechanics. Archie was the crafty old spider trying to catch the fly. Willie was more than happy to be the fly, flitting in and out, dancing all around and pecking away with the jab. He boxed quite beautifully and Moore couldn’t find the one hammer blow that would end proceedings. Not that Pastrano escaped without experiencing Archie’s special brand of kidology. Chatting away to Willie in the second round, Moore repeatedly complimented his opponent on his dancing skills. “You’re looking good, kid. You’re the next champ. Dance, dance pretty, Willie.” Flattered and mesmerised, Willie danced and really began to put on a show. It was classic hypnotism. Then he heard the barking command, “Stand still!” and his brain went into gridlock. He stood still and Moore smashed him with a right hand that left Willie sitting on the bottom rope. Pastrano didn’t stand still after that. He shut his ears to all further praise and boxed his way to a very creditable draw.
                      I knew of their fight but hadnt heard that! lol Archie was a character

Glad ud heard those ones i was on about, i was starting to think id made them up!

Comment

Working...
                      X