Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do boxers with big hands have thinner padding in their gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do boxers with big hands have thinner padding in their gloves?

I remember awile ago I was watching a show with George Chuvalo on it and he was talking about Sonny Liston,And how his big hands made his punching harder. He exsplained that for hands like his they made custom gloves, the gloves were bigger so the padding could not be as thick. I was wondering if boxers with big hands these days still have thinner padding in their gloves compared to those with smaller hands?

No. No Commission would ever allow it. Certain stipulations are cemented by Athletic Commissions & transcend any outside influence. Among those stipulations are the amount of padding in gloves.

Now, in the case of a rare Boxing specimen, such as a Sonny Liston, where the glove may in fact be stretched to its limits by unusual fist measurements, thus thinning out the gloves surface area, well, there's nothing any Commission can do about that. That is, if you like, how the chips fall for the opponent.

However, such a case is beyond rare --- & no one is getting away with customising their gloves so as to reduce padding.

Comment

assuming all gloves are the same, in theory small hands would be more beneficial since all the force is concentrated in a smaller area, and your punch is overall less restricted by the evenly distrubuted padding in the gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
        No. No Commission would ever allow it. Certain stipulations are cemented by Athletic Commissions & transcend any outside influence. Among those stipulations are the amount of padding in gloves.

Now, in the case of a rare Boxing specimen, such as a Sonny Liston, where the glove may in fact be stretched to its limits by unusual fist measurements, thus thinning out the gloves surface area, well, there's nothing any Commission can do about that. That is, if you like, how the chips fall for the opponent.

However, such a case is beyond rare --- & no one is getting away with customising their gloves so as to reduce padding.
        If one boxer has small hands and another has big hands how do they have the same gloves fit both boxers hands? Does one boxer have to have more tape on his hands so he can fit a bigger glove? Or does the boxer with smaller hands just have to wear a looser glove?
        Last edited by Holtol; 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post

What he's saying is, if your hand is larger and you're using gloves of the same weight, the padding should theoretically be more spread out in order to account for this, whereas for smaller gloves it will be more concentrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
            What he's saying is, if your hand is larger and you're using gloves of the same weight, the padding should theoretically be more spread out in order to account for this, whereas for smaller gloves it will be more concentrated.
            well thats assuming gloves arent the same size.

I thought the commissions made sure that most the gloves were uniform, unless under special circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
              well thats assuming gloves arent the same size.

I thought the commissions made sure that most the gloves were uniform, unless under special circumstances.
              If you have a freakishly large hand I'm not sure how else it could be accounted for. I'm not claiming to know the specifics of this though.

As far as I know weight, not size, is all that matters. Look at Mayweather-Judah, Mayweather's Winning gloves look huge compared to Everlast.

Comment

Working...
              X