No announcement yet.

I need help with a project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with a project

I'm doing an extended project in whether boxing has helped or hindered race relations. I would like examples of where it has been good and where it has been bad. Links would be great, thanks in advance.

Joe Louis is an excellent one. He made America united racially with blacks and whites supporting him during the Schmeling fight.
    I'll get a link when I get back.

Comment

Have a look through virtually any thread on this site if you want examples of poor race relations. This place is crawling with racists, but BPP hasn't got the balls to do anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rubensonnny View Post
        I'm doing an extended project in whether boxing has helped or hindered race relations. I would like examples of where it has been good and where it has been bad. Links would be great, thanks in advance.
        Check out the Joe Louis doc, I think its called a hero betrayed. You should also check out the Ali docs up on youtube such as Ali-Frazier: A nation divided

edit: Check out that jack johnson doc: Unforgivable blackness
        Last edited by Toney616; 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Jack Johnson and Joe Louis are both good choices.

Comment

You could aslo include the colour line, drawn by Jeffries, Sullivan etc.
            Maybe Sam Langford being amazing and never getting a title because people could avoid him because of his race.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be using them, If anyones got links on information about Jewish boxers that changed their unathletic stereotype like Leonard, Ross, Baer that would be very useful.

Comment

You have to include stuff about Don King and his racial campaign to build publicity for Larry Holmes vs Cooney which was disgraceful and having Cooney purposely labeled as the "Great White Hope" and other things he did, did not help relations at all.

Comment

Johnson, Louis, Sullivan( For the drawing of the color line which set back race relations and equal opportunities in boxing), and some might be inclined to say Muhammad Ali as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
                    Have a look through virtually any thread on this site if you want examples of poor race relations. This place is crawling with racists, but BPP hasn't got the balls to do anything about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X