No announcement yet.

ATGs who retired on top?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATGs who retired on top?

Based on outcome, quality of opponent, and the age they retired.

Here is how I rank the heavyweights...

1. Lennox Lewis: Age 37, WBC/IBO holder who defeated Prime champ of next era.

2. GeneTunney: Age 31, defeated Jack Dempsey

3. Sonny Liston: Age 38, TKO over Wepner

4. George Foreman: Age 48, controversial loss to prime Briggs

5. Rocky Marciano: Age 32, KO'd a 40 year old Archie Moore.

Carlos Monzon Retired Middleweight champion of the world

Comment

Also Ottke, Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
        Carlos Monzon Retired Middleweight champion of the world
        Monzon is definitely the gold standard when it comes to going out on top. I think age 35 is the proper age to retire for most boxers. 37 is too long and 32 is too short.

Also Ottke, Calzaghe.
        Why do people throw Ottke's name out there in the same sentence as Joe?

Ottke does not fit the criteria of ATG.

He has only 6 proffesional KOs, and has never fought outside his backyard. Complete joke of a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
          Based on outcome, quality of opponent, and the age they retired.

Here is how I rank the heavyweights...

1. Lennox Lewis: Age 37, WBC/IBO holder who defeated Prime champ of next era.

2. GeneTunney: Age 31, defeated Jack Dempsey

3. Sonny Liston: Age 38, TKO over Wepner

4. George Foreman: Age 48, controversial loss to prime Briggs

5. Rocky Marciano: Age 32, KO'd a 40 year old Archie Moore.

Lewis was stripped of every belt for refusing to fight the No1 contenders, He never defended the undisputed title like the others did

Comment

Lennox Lewis was truly awful in every aspect. Here he is exposed as the phony that he is.

Comment

Monzon is definitely the gold standard when it comes to going out on top. I think age 35 is the proper age to retire for most boxers. 37 is too long and 32 is too short.

He has only 6 proffesional KOs, and has never fought outside his backyard. Complete joke of a fighter.
              Calzaghe was similar to Ottke in that he only fought in his back yard and against class D opponents as well as ducking Glen Johnson (thrice), Ottke & Mickelcheski

Comment

Didnt Ottke have the same number of defenses as Calzaghe and wasn't he ranked higher by The Ring?

And both of them fought at home BTW.

Comment

Floyd & Hopkins hahahahaha

But for real Bernard's getting lucky. He had the beautiful Tarver & Pavlik fights he could have retired on top from but he keeps going. Hopefully he'll have another and be able to call it quits because I'm a big fan.

Hagler kind of did because alot of people think he beat Leonard.

Comment

Gotta give some love to the little guys with Ricardo Lopez. Also Floyd Mayweather like three times.

Comment

Working...
                    X