Collapse
No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Martinez doesn't win it, I'll never even look at another issue of Ring.

Comment

Wasn't Pacquiao already announced as 2010 winner for Fighter Of The Year?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
        In fan voting.... The actual announcement by Ring has not been made.

Comment

He was? Oh God...

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            Pacquiao should win Fighter of the Year
            Definitely.

An all but shot guy with a brutal one sided KO loss in his last fight, not counting the bum fight, and a guy who had lost his last fight also and never won a big fight vs Williams who had just come off wins over Winky Wright and Martinez and Kelly Pavlik, the lineal middleweight champion who was undefeated there.

Two guys who were stylistically made for one fighter vs two guys who had highly risky styles for the other and weren't coming off losses in their last fights.

Definitely.

You know that poll you talked about was a fan poll. So, it was like asking NSB who should get FOTY ie. you had a million rabid Pinoys that would have said Pac if he had just sat the whole year out in congress. "Pac won his fight for the seat at congress! Fighter of the year and fight of the year. It was a huge win!"

Definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              If Martinez doesn't win it, I'll never even look at another issue of Ring.
              Really, when it comes down to it, these awards are BS like everything else in boxing. It goes to the most popular victories of the year and the most popular fighter for the most part.

Martinez doesn't have an ounce of competition when it comes to FOTY. He really doesn't. The two victories he had were well and truly way above and beyond what anyone else did. However, I won't be surprised if Pacquiao does get it sadly....though I should be.

Most fighters don't even get looked at properly and it comes down to, as always, who had the most popular win.

It can be looked at very simply though; two wins in which one fighter was the huge favourite and was expected to do exactly what he did vs two wins in which one fighter was not the favourite and was expected to lose. Two wins against guys coming off losses vs two wins over guys coming off wins, including some of the biggest of their career. Two wins in the expected manner for the huge favourite vs two spectacular wins that were as unexpected as you can get for the underdog.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                Really, when it comes down to it, these awards are BS like everything else in boxing. It goes to the most popular victories of the year and the most popular fighter for the most part.

Martinez doesn't have an ounce of competition when it comes to FOTY. He really doesn't. The two victories he had were well and truly way above and beyond what anyone else did. However, I won't be surprised if Pacquiao does get it sadly....though I should be.

Most fighters don't even get looked at properly and it comes down to, as always, who had the most popular win.

It can be looked at very simply though; two wins in which one fighter was the huge favourite and was expected to do exactly what he did vs two wins in which one fighter was not the favourite and was expected to lose. Two wins against guys coming off losses vs two wins over guys coming off wins, including some of the biggest of their career. Two wins in the expected manner for the huge favourite vs two spectacular wins that were as unexpected as you can get for the underdog.
                If Pacquiao fought Martinez I'd be rooting for Manny. But Sergio is an obvious choice for FOY. Pacquiao was a heavy favorite in his fights, while Martinez was a slight underdog in both of his.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

There's just no way I'll ever believe Martinez is streets ahead of Pacquiao for FOTY. I don't doubt Martinez's credentials, but this is toss-up material. People are too accustomed to Pacquiao's remarkable feats now --- it's detracting from what he's doing, but that makes it by no means less spectacular, IMO. As recently as his fight with De La Hoya, people were laughing at the thought of Pacquiao even sharing a ring with Margarito. They were still dismissing it after he obliterated Hatton, & even by that stage, you could count on one hand the amount of people in the world who would pick Pacquiao to not only best Margarito, but virtually shut him out, & batter him so badly, he felt compelled to ask the referee to stop the fight.

No way, no how is Martinez a clear leader against Pacquiao here. It's plenty close.

Comment

There's just no way I'll ever believe Martinez is streets ahead of Pacquiao for FOTY. I don't doubt Martinez's credentials, but this is toss-up material. People are too accustomed to Pacquiao's remarkable feats now --- it's detracting from what he's doing, but that makes it by no means less spectacular, IMO. As recently as his fight with De La Hoya, people were laughing at the thought of Pacquiao even sharing a ring with Margarito. They were still dismissing it after he obliterated Hatton, & even by that stage, you could count on one hand the amount of people in the world who would pick Pacquiao to not only best Margarito, but virtually shut him out, & batter him so badly, he felt compelled to ask the referee to stop the fight.

No way, no how is Martinez a clear leader against Pacquiao here. It's plenty close.
                    No its not your talking of a different version of Margarito a guy who was a proven p4p is not the same as an unranked fighter whos last significant fight was a big upset KO loss. Also you could make the same argument about Martinez, few thought he was a threat until he fought Williams the first time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post

Excellent post... Lets not forget that Margarito destroyed Martinez when they fought and if Mayweather had beaten Clottey & Margarito in the same fashion as Pacquiao has in 2010 then he would be assured of FOTY.. Pacquiao is the clear No1 choice for RMFOTY... was Kelly Pavlik drunk when Martinez out-pointed him?

Comment

Working...
                      X