Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing Books?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered the new Boxing Encyclopedia, the 6th edition. Did anyone read the earlier versions? And what should I expect reading it?

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Encyc...1754799&sr=1-1

Comment

I also have several editions of the Ring Record Book and Fight Fax, which were essential reference guides before boxrec existed.

Comment

bump.............

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread!

I was just looking for suggestions for a boxing history book! I have mostly read biographies but not too long ago read this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-Ring-H...8459584&sr=1-2

So any suggestions what to read next?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            I also have several editions of the Ring Record Book and Fight Fax, which were essential reference guides before boxrec existed.
            We might have talked about it, but I love those books. Before the internet I picked them up every day.

Comment

I liked:

Dark Destroyer (I enjoyed it. Nigel Benn always comes across as being totally honest)
              Floyd Patterson: A Biography (Again, Floyd was always honest and a gentleman. I've read this a few times).

Comment

"Dark Trade" by Donald McRae. I've referenced this book a million times on this site. It is absolutely tremendous.

Just finished reading Ray Leonard's (new?) autobiography. Better than I thought it would be, he's exceptionally truthful in the book (which he doesn't always come across as being in front of the cameras) and the book is better of for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  What boxing books from your collection would you recommend?

P.S - Has anyone read these books I'm thinking of getting, are they any good?
                  - The Killings of Stanley Ketchel
                  - Sam Langford: Boxings Greatest Uncrowned Champion
                  - The Fearless Harry Greb

P.S.S - What is the best Joe Louis book?
                  The Arc of Boxing

One of the Ali special commemorative editions was also fantastic, and a book on Lamotta, but the name escapes me.

Comment

one of the best books ever written about boxing, Beyond the Ring.

Comment

Last summer I read The Fight by Norman Mailer and thought it was great, I'm a little surprised it wasn't mentioned earlier.

I'm about to start On Boxing by Joyce Carol Oates, heard it was great from another boxing fan.

Comment

Working...
                      X