No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe's Greatness......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Calzaghe's Greatness......

I find it hard to rank Joe and his legacy. You think 46-0, probaly best Super Middleweight ever, Ring Champion at both 168lb & 175lb. That impressive.

But then you think 21 Defences of the little thought of WBO Title, against some unworthy challagers or unproven fighters, on home soil. And then the fact he looked farily unimpressive in his USA fights & missed out on fighting the best of his era while in there primes.

How do you rate him and his greatness, & ATG Ranking.

Meh, he was a very good fighter but no ATG in my opinion. I would argue Roy Jones was clearly the best super middleweight ever, but Calzaghe spent so long there and did so much more.

Comment

He was good but "greatness" and "Joe Calzaghe" do not belong in the same sentence... Unless you're describing the quality of the cocaine he is snorting.

Comment

21 defences of the WBO title and won ring titles at 168 & 175 kinda speaks for itself in my eyes.

Comment

Calzaghe is a all time great! greatest supermiddleweight of all time! i would of liked to of seen him against the likes of a prime roy jones, glen johnson, carl froch and james toney

Comment

He has a very good resume but it could be better.When the big names were in their prime they didnt want anything to do with calzaghe,hopkins walked away from their deal which was a big shame,he was a high risk low reward type of guy and it wasnt until lacy showed some balls that people realized how good calzaghe could be

But like i said his resume could definitely have been better

Comment

Originally posted by Dubstep Demon View Post
              He has a very good resume but it could be better.When the big names were in their prime they didnt want anything to do with calzaghe,hopkins walked away from their deal which was a big shame,he was a high risk low reward type of guy and it wasnt until lacy showed some balls that people realized how good calzaghe could be

But like i said his resume could definitely have been better
              yeah i agree you got to respect lacy comeing over to england to fight the unbeaten calzaghe in his own back yard

Comment

Originally posted by katsidis View Post
                21 defences of the WBO title and won ring titles at 168 & 175 kinda speaks for itself in my eyes.
                He fought a bunch of nobodies in his own backyard and never fought anybody good.

When the best names on your resume are a past prime B Hop (split decision) and a decision over a SHOT Roy Jones Jr, there is something wrong.

It isn't difficult to go undefeated if you never take on a challenging contender.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
                  yeah i agree you got to respect lacy comeing over to england to fight the unbeaten calzaghe in his own back yard
                  I agree props for that,but gotta remember lacy was expected too win,he was the up and coming guy that was meant to be the next mike tyson,it was a shocking one sided beatdown looking back

Comment

Originally posted by Dubstep Demon View Post
                    I agree props for that,but gotta remember lacy was expected too win,he was the up and coming guy that was meant to be the next mike tyson,it was a shocking one sided beatdown looking back
                    Jeff Lacey was nothing special and was handed a one sided beatdown by a SHOT Roy Jones Jr. Much worse than what Calzaghe did to him.

WTF are you talking about "The Next Mike Tyson?"
                    Last edited by CarlosG815; 11-23-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X