Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do Barrera and Morales rank among the Mexican greats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katsidis View Post
    I say that a fighter is from where they were born, I don't really consider the ancestors of the fighter. Eg Hamed was British although his ancestress were from UAE or somewhere
    I say that Lewis is British as he was born there and went on to fight there aswell as he considers himself to be British. I consider Tszyu to be australian.
    If this statement is true than you are not consistant with your placements as Tszyu, he is Russian born and of Russian decent (mixed) decent. Personally I have a hard time nailing down a consistant placement system as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
      If this statement is true than you are not consistant with your placements as Tszyu, he is Russian born and of Russian decent (mixed) decent. Personally I have a hard time nailing down a consistant placement system as well.
      Hmm it is tough to choose a fighters nationality if you get what I mean. I spose he was born in Russia or Mongolia or wherever he was born but as a rule I go with where they were born. Eg de la hoya has Mexican descent but was born in America so I consider him to be american

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Indeed. Right you guys are. Just checked. Born and raised in the US. I always thought he was from Mexico....

It is a difficult one. I guess in the case of someone being born and raised in a country that's not their ancestors origins, it's still where they are from. So yeah, Ortiz is an Americano.

Napoles, Tszyu and Lewis is a bit harder. Born and then raised somewhere other than their fighting country and really only had their pro careers there. I don't know.
        I can't consider Napoles a Mexican fighter. He was born in Cuba to Cuban parents. He even started boxing there. If he had relocated to Thailand instead, would anyone consider him a Thai fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          I can't consider Napoles a Mexican fighter. He was born in Cuba to Cuban parents. He even started boxing there. If he had relocated to Thailand instead, would anyone consider him a Thai fighter?
          Yep, very true. Valero fought most of his career, in fact I think it was just about all of it brief as it was, out of Japan but I certainly don't consider him a Japanese boxer.

Good point.

If we're talking just in terms of boxing though, he's hard to place. If he had stayed in Cuba we would never have even seen him fight. He is Cuban 100%, but is he a Cuban boxer?

I suppose so.

But, what about someone like Lewis. Jamaican, British and Canadian...Which is he?
          Last edited by BennyST; 11-19-2010, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X