No announcement yet.

Any one else on here Rank Gene tunney higher than Micky walker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one else on here Rank Gene tunney higher than Micky walker

I have gene higher on my all time great list than walker any one else agree?

I do at the moment but, it's touch and go really...

Comment

I rank Tunney #26, Walker #48.

Comment

No. Gene is a ATG fighter and probaly a top 20 ATG. But in my opinion he isn't as great as Walker and his accomplishmnets aint' as impressive.

Walker defeined ''Pound for Pound''. Walker was Welterweight Champion, made 5 defences of that title. He won the Middlweight Title, made 4 defences of that, and never lost the title.

But Walker greatest feats and P4P legend come from his work at Light Heavyweight & Heavyweight.

He knocked out former Light Heavyweight Champion Mike McTigue in 1 round.
        Decisioned future Light Heavyweight Champion Paul Berlenbach. So there two LHW champions he beat.

He also took All Time Great LHW Tommy Loughran to a SD.

Then Walker moves up to HW draws with future HW champion Jack Sharkey.

Sharkey would go on to beat Max Schmeling and Sharkey also beat Tommy Loughran, Harry Wills, Mike McTigue, Young Stribling, & Primo Carnera.

Sharkey was also giving a faded Jack Dempsey a boxing lesson before being hit on the break. And most feel Walker should of got the decision....Incredible.

He also beat a top HW contenders etc Paulino Uzcudun, King Levinsky, & knocked out Arthur De Kuh, who took Max Baer the distance.

Walker done all this while standing 5''7, and being a natural Welterweight/Middleweight. That is just incredible and Walker should be a lock in for a top 15 ATG in my opinion.

At times his form may of been inconsistint, but that would be due to fighting so often, lack of focus/dedication, and not being at his natural weight.

Here's his resume of wins.............
        Pete Latzo
        Lew Tendler
        Tiger Flowers
        Tommy Milligan
        Mike McTigue
        Paul Berlenbach
        Ace Hudkins
        Leo Lomski
        King Levinsky
        Paulino Uzcudun
        Maxie Rosenbloom
        Jack Sharkey (Draw)

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          I rank Tunney #26, Walker #48.
          WTF??? How can Walker be so low on a P4P list. Most certainly a top 20, at least.

Surely you just dont know enough about him? Right????

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
            I have gene higher on my all time great list than walker any one else agree?
            I do and have written enough on Tunney here and other websites to explain why i have Tunney top 10. Even Muhammad Ali rated him high due to his scientific advancement for the sport he pretty much helped developed defensive fighting. What guys like Daniel Mendoza and James Corbett did in their era, Tunney did for his era.

He beat every opponent he ever faced professionally, the guy won the armed forces title with a pretty much injured had. His only loss to Harry Greb would be avenged twice, and he also had two ND's that many felt he won. He also beat guys like Carpentier, Levinsky, Loughran(got Newspaper decision many thought philly paper was biased), Risko, and Dempsey twice. Harry Wills manager turned down $250K to fight Tunney.

For those who didn't read the book Tunney by Jack Cavanaugh it is a good read, enjoyed it more than Hands of Stone, Hearns, and DLH's official bio.

I do rate Walker high also, but i give the edge to Tunney.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Bag View Post
              WTF??? How can Walker be so low on a P4P list. Most certainly a top 20, at least.

Surely you just dont know enough about him? Right????
              I don't give much weight to resume. I've watched a lot of Mickey Walker, and as much of Tunney as is available, and ability-wise, I think Tunney was a better fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                I don't give much weight to resume. I've watched a lot of Mickey Walker, and as much of Tunney as is available, and ability-wise, I think Tunney was a better fighter.
                Yeah, for pure ability Tunney was greater. But I find it diffcuilt to judge greatnest & ATG ranking soley off ability.

I think resume of wins, longativity, title reigns & jumping through the weights should play a big part to. And Walker excels in many of these area's.

Comment

I'm not much for making lists, but if I did I'd have Tunney ahead of Walker. Factor in that his record is sensational and that won almost every round against Dempsey twice and it is a clear choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    I'm not much for making lists, but if I did I'd have Tunney ahead of Walker. Factor in that his record is sensational and that won almost every round against Dempsey twice and it is a clear choice.
                    A clear choice? Come on. Walker is being extremly underrated here.

It's not as if Tunney was boxing the ears of a prime Jack Dempsey. He beat a past prime Demspey both times. Dempsey as that point had lost alot of hunger and drive he once had and had been away from the ring for 3 years. And yet Dempsey still managed to drop him and hurt him heavily. Would of he beat a prime Dempsey? I have my douts.

Jack Sharkey was also boxing a past prime Dempsey's ears off without much trouble, only to be hit while on the break, he was most likely on his way to doing what Tunney done to Dempsey, before being hit with a cheap shot.

And Walker's record isn't sensational? Read my first post again.

Listen Tunney was a truley great fighter, but to say he ranks way ahead of Walker is plain stupid. People just don't know enough about Walker I feel.

Comment

Working...
                    X