Ray Arcel ''Benny Leonard Was The Greatest Fighter Ever''

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Arcel ''Benny Leonard Was The Greatest Fighter Ever''

Thoughts on this comment????

I think a case can be made for it. I personally would have Robinson as my greatest but certainly a case can be made for Benny Leonard. I have a lot of respect for Arcel and give whatever he says a lot of consideration even when I don't necessarily agree with it.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      I think a case can be made for it. I personally would have Robinson as my greatest but certainly a case can be made for Benny Leonard. I have a lot of respect for Arcel and give whatever he says a lot of consideration even when I don't necessarily agree with it.

Poet
      I agree with Poet. Arcel saw them all he is entightled to his views. He was knowledgebale enough. I do not agree with this either but hey I didn't see much of Benny too, but from the little I saw of him and the huge amount I read about him, I am not surprised Arcel, who saw him with his own eyes, will think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
        I agree with Poet. Arcel saw them all he is entightled to his views. He was knowledgebale enough. I do not agree with this either but hey I didn't see much of Benny too, but from the little I saw of him and the huge amount I read about him, I am not surprised Arcel, who saw him with his own eyes, will think so.
        Arcel actually trained Benny Leonard during his post-prime comeback tour.

Poet

Comment

Poet

Yea I know that. And which is all the more reason I believe that he knew more than anyone of us about Benny and is entitled to his views. Arcel was one of the great trainers of all time.

Comment

Poet
            Ray Arcel was actually a Sparring Partner for Benny Leonard before going on to train the great man in the 1920s

Comment

You have to respect Arcel's opinion of course. But I don't think Leoanrd was. I'd say Robinson, Armstrong, Langford, Ali, Louis, Greb, Fizsimmons, & Walker were greater. And I probaly just have Pep edging him to.

But it's very debatable of course.

A good few months back I read a book on Arcel, and it talked alot about his time with Leonard. Can't remember much now do.

Comment

Working...
              X