No announcement yet.

Ray Mercer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Mercer?

Any historians have anything good or bad to say about him? I don't know much about him, just that he K.O'd the hell out of tommy morrison.

Morrison was kicking Mercer's ass before he gassed out. Mercer was a real tough guy, but a skilled boxer always gave him a lot of trouble. But Mercer was a legit contender and he was in some very watchable fights with Lewis, Holyfield, etc.

Comment

Mercer was strong and tough. In his early career he would often fall behind on points and come back to stop his foe, as in the Morrison and Daminani bouts. Wasn't til later that he developed a good jab as ssen in the Lewis and Holyfield bouts. I enjoyed his career and considered him a fun fighter to watch, he took on all comers and even though he started his career at a late age, he still managed to turn in a pretty complete career.

Comment

Accomplsihed quite alot, considering he never laced on gloves to the age of 23.

Extremly durable and tough, and could punch. In his Olympics, he KO'd/TKO'd everyone on route to the gold medal.

He was very hot & cold in his pro career. He could take a 1996 Lennox Lewis to the wire and KO 28-0 Tommy Morrision, but yet only 2 fights previous draw with 7-9 Marion Wilson and lose to Journyman Jesse Ferguson over 10.

And looking back he blew more cold than hot.

He was also extremly pour when a old Holmes gave him quite the boxing lesson over 12. But when focused & motivated he was very dangerous as Lewis & mainly Morrision found out.
        Last edited by Heavy Bag; 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Mercer vs Lewis was a good fight, I thought Mercer did enough to get the decision. Been quite a few years since I saw the fight though.

Comment

Working...
          X