Why Muhammad Ali betrayed Malcolm X Part 2

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Muhammad Ali betrayed Malcolm X Part 2

Part 2:

"They think everyone's out to kill them because they know they deserved to be killed for what they did."-Muhammad Ali

Death threats:
    The death threats rattled Malcolm, but they did not demoralize him. Treachery did that. "Worse than death there was betrayal." He would concede. And no betrayal cut as deeply as Ali's. Ali's public rejection of Malcolm, "hurt Malcolm more than any other person turning away that I know of," Betty Shabazz, Malcolm's wife tells Hauser.

On Christmas Day 1964, in a Boston hotel room, a group of Muslims posing as newsmen, severly beat Ali's press secretary, Leon 4X Ameer. Although working for Ali, Ameer had remained close to Malcolm, a risky show of loyallty. Two weeks later after the assault, Ameer held a press conference in Harlem's Theresa Hotel. He expressed his fears that Ali might be killed in "Black Muslim in-fighting" and regretted that the spiritual sense of the nation was "just about dead."

The betrayal:
    Either out of fear or a feudal sense of obligation to the Messenger, Ali held a press conference at the Theresa the same day. "Ameer's nothing to me," he said. "He was welcomed as a friend as long as he was a registered Muslim, but not anymore." When asked if Ameer should fear for his life, Ali answered coldly; "They think everyone's out to kill them because they know they deserved to be killed for what they did." His "they" included Malcolm X.

Two days later, at the Audubon Ballroom of all the fateful places, Ali told a Fruit of Islam gathering that "the white press" had decieved Malcolm into thinking he was the Nation's number 2 man, and now he is "diillusioned". Soon after, Muhammad Speaks accused Ameer of plotting to kill Elijah Muhammad and ran a "wanted" poster with Ameer's picture.

As the death threats morphed into murder plots, Betty Shabazz begged Ali's intercession. "You see what they are doing to my husband, don't you?" She pleaded after a chance encounter with Ali at the Theresa. Ali blew her off, disingenuously raising his hands in the air saying, "I'm not doing anything to him."

The beginning of the end:
    Two days before his death, and five days after a Muslim death squad had burned down his house, Malcolm X concluded that "brotherhood" was the only thing that could save this country." I've learned it the hard way," Malcolm regretted, "but I've learned it." As he feared, he had one harder lesson to learn.

The fatal plot centered on the Newark mosque. 60 minutes, among other sources, has implicated Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan in the plot's orchestration, a charge he denies. As the FBI reported, Farrakhan had driven to Boston from Newark early that morning. He was at the mosque when several Muslim brothers caught up with Malcolm X at the Audobon Ballroom in Harlem. They rose up during his speech and blasted away.

The autopsy report lists "fifteen "shotgun and other caliber bullet wounds." Betty Shabazz was there with her four children. "She heard shots," reads the chilling NYPD report. "She pushed the children under the stairs in the box and covered them with her body. She then heard someone say, "Oh, my God! Oh, my God!" As Malcolm understood all too well, his own chickens had finally come home to roost. Two soilders from the Fruit of Islam would be convicted for his murder.

A week after Malcolm's murder, Elijah Muhammad predictably declined all responsibity at the annual Saviours Day rally in Chicago. "They know I loved Malcolm," he contended. "His foolish teaching brought him to his own end." Sitting prominently behind the Messenger on the platform and affirming his every word was Muhammad Ali.

Two weeks after that, Ameer called the FBI and agreed to help identify the shooters. He never got the chance. The next day, he was found dead in his hotel room of unknown causes.

"Ali is my friend and my brother" -Malcolm X

Excerpts taken from:
    Sucker Punch:The hard left hook that dazed Ali and killed King's dream by Jack Cashill

Next Week: Ali's betrayal of Frazier

"Do I look like a Gorilla?"- Joe Frazier
    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=430276
    Last edited by Toney616; 04-02-2011, 08:47 AM.

here is farrakhan all bit admitting to killing malcom

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post

here is farrakhan all bit admitting to killing malcom
      Thanks for posting this, I've only watched a clip of this when they showed it to Betty Shabazz

Comment

yes.malcom realized both sides,n.o.i and the kkk were being funded and manipulated by the same people he wanted.him and dr.king were about to start their own movement together,but fate had other plans

Comment

yes.malcom realized both sides,n.o.i and the kkk were being funded and manipulated by the same people he wanted.him and dr.king were about to start their own movement together,but fate had other plans
          He spoke about it to Alex Haley, but Haley who may have been working for the FBI at the time, choose to leave those parts out of Malcolm X autobigraphy. Which is why it feels so rushed after Malcom X comes back from Mecca

Comment

yes.malcom realized both sides,n.o.i and the kkk were being funded and manipulated by the same people
            Can you elabotrate further on this?
            I know that their was a pact between the Nation of Islam, the KKK and the American Nazi Party, but I never heard anything about funding?

Comment

Originally posted by -Ironmike- View Post
              He spoke about it to Alex Haley, but Haley who may have been working for the FBI at the time, choose to leave those parts out of Malcolm X autobigraphy. Which is why it feels so rushed after Malcom X comes back from Mecca
              Oh, absolutely Haley was working for someone. I'm convinced. The autobiography of Malcolm is a beautiful tale that leaves out so much. Anyway, solid post by r. burgundy as well. Playing both sides is the best way to ensure the result you want.

Comment

Thanks for these great but sad reads. **** Bruce Perry!

Comment

Never knew Alex Haley was a undercover government agent.

Comment

Originally posted by -Ironmike- View Post
                    Can you elabotrate further on this?
                    I know that their was a pact between the Nation of Islam, the KKK and the American Nazi Party, but I never heard anything about funding?
                    research leads me to the vatican.the black pope is the worlds most powerful man,and vatican is the most powerful organization

Comment

Working...
                    X