Time for trivia again.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for trivia again.

Let's have a little trivia for the nerds again:

1: Who participated in the longest fight and how many rounds did it go?

2: Who participated in the longest fight with a winner and how many rounds did it go?

3: Who participated in the longest titlefight and how many rounds did it go?

4: Who participated in the shortest titlefight and how long did it go?

5: Who's the youngest champion ever?

6: Who's the tallest linear champion?

7: Name the world champion who has the most victories.

Am I allowed to use resources to help. I have a big book in the house which detailed the longest ever bout but, how long it was escapes me.

I know the youngest champion ever is Wilfred Benitez I believe he was 17?

Comment

Andy Bowen and Jack Burke 110 Three minute rounds, 7 hours and 19 minutes.
      The longest bareknuckle fight on record occurred in Melbourne, Australia, on October 19, 1856. James Kelly and Jack Smith fought for 6 hours 15 minutes.

2: Who participated in the longest fight with a winner and how many rounds did it go?
      Harry Sharpe KO’ed Frank Crosby in 77 rounds, 5 hours and 5 minutes

3: Who participated in the longest title fight and how many rounds did it go?
      Paddy Duffy won by DQ over Tom Meadows in 45 rounds on March 29, 1889.
      Jack Dempsey (The Nonpareil) KO’ed Johnny Reagan in 45 rounds but some sources have that for the Championship of America, not the World.

4: Who participated in the shortest title fight and how long did it go?
      0:17 Daniel Jiminez v Harold Geier 09/03/1994 Super-bantamweight
      0:17 Shannon Briggs v John Sargent 07/19/2003 (IBU heavyweight title)

Wilfredo Benitez 17

Jess Willard

If you count No-Decisions, Harry Greb 260. If your not, Willie Pep 229.
      Last edited by hhascup; 09-22-2010, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
        The longest bareknuckle fight on record occurred in Melbourne, Australia, on October 19, 1856. James Kelly and Jack Smith fought for 6 hours 15 minutes.

Jack Dempsey (The Nonpareil) KO’ed Johnny Reagan in 45 rounds but some sources have that for the Championship of America, not the World.

Wilfredo Benitez 17

Jess Willard

You're a walking encyclopedia as always Henry. I'm impressed.

I have a couple of remarks.

3: I had Gans-Nelson and 42 rounds. I haven't heard of the Duffy-Meadows fight let alone the fighters or the title at stake. Maybe you can enlighten me?

7: I was thinking Pep.

Comment

[quote=BattlingNelson;9287794]You're a walking encyclopedia as always Henry. I'm impressed.

3: I had Gans-Nelson and 42 rounds. I haven't heard of the Duffy-Meadows fight let alone the fighters or the title at stake. Maybe you can enlighten me?

Paddy Duffy was born on November 12, 1864 in Boston, Massachusetts, and died in 1890. After his fight with Bill McMillan, where he won by a KO in 17 rounds, Duffy claimed to be the first welterweight champion under Marquess of Queensbury Rules (skin-tight gloves). On March 29, 1889 he defended that title by disqualification in the 45th round against Australian Tom Meadows. Duffy will unfortunately not get to put his belt at stake because he dies of tuberculosis the following year. Paddy Duffy is a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            You're a walking encyclopedia as always Henry. I'm impressed.

7: I was thinking Pep.
            Hey you didnt ask me still I did know a bit about Duffy ...Henry can always give more info (he like our living encyclopedia) Heres what I know I read about this a long time ago:-
            Paddy Duffy was considered to be the first WW champ so he is kind of historically important. In 1994, he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
            Duffy fought Tom Meadows, the Australian champion, in San Francisco. Duffy weighed 140 while Meadows came in at 143. They fought for 45 rounds after which Duffy won. I believe it was a foul. for details about Duffy you can check here http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/duffy-p.htm
            Last edited by Greatest1942; 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post

Wilfredo Benitez 17

Jess Willard

Your always 100% correct and on every trivia thread I have ever seen, well done.
              I can't give you green K as I already have

Comment

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
                Your always 100% correct and on every trivia thread I have ever seen, well done.
                I can't give you green K as I already have
                Thanks! Now I have to get ready to run the meeting for the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame. Tomorrow and Saturday I run 2 New Jersey Diamond Glove Tournament Shows, where I most likely will have to Ring Announce.

Comment

Nice to have someone else around here who knows there stuff about boxing.

Comment

Working...
                  X