No announcement yet.

Prime Hagler vs Prime Monzon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    In a one off fight my money would be on Hagler and I'd expect him to take two of three in a trilogy.

Poet
    This sounds weird but too me in a 1 off i think monzon would snatch it but if i was to bet i would definitely bet hagler, not sure why, just in his prime even if the odds were against him he would just go out and win no matter what if it was an early knockdown or a late attack e.g duran when he was down until last few rounds

Comment

In a one off fight my money would be on Hagler and I'd expect him to take two of three in a trilogy.

Poet
      co-sign.

Comment

Poet
        I think it's the other way around, if Hagler beat him the first time around I'd expect Monzon to come out on top of the other 2, if you make Monzon respect you then he's going to come out much better for the rematch e.g it's like with the Bennie Briscoe fight, after the first you can tell that Monzon really respected Briscoe (Inside and out of the ring) and what he was capable of, the rematch is one of Monzon's better performances, he had a solid game plan and it was a true masterclass.

Be it that it was many years later though you can tell that Monzon brought 150% to that fight when you compare it to other fights, although Monzon always brought it all to the ring.

I don't see a KO either way, both had very solid chins.

Hagler showed great versatility around his career and the ability to adapt, it would be interesting to see how he would come out against Monzon. Imo his best bet is too come out aggressive like he did against Hearns then his usual style and see if he can get a strong lead on Monzon and wear him down some, however I see Monzon then adapting too Haglers aggressive style and Hagler going back to boxing him and lateral movement which imo wouldn't work, Monzon was great at controlling range and tempo.

It all strongly depends on what kind of Hagler turns up, due to Monzon lack of high level southpaw opponents Haglers best bet would be to stay Southpaw.

Very very hard fight to judge, I don't see many MW beating Monzon at all but if it's anyone to do it it's Hagler and Vice Versa but then again I see Monzon's style giving Hagler big problems , this is probably one of the hardest fantasy fights that personally I can think off.

I'll go with in a trilogy it's 2-1 to Monzon, all points, don't see any stoppages here.
        Last edited by NChristo; 09-17-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          I think it's the other way around, if Hagler beat him the first time around I'd expect Monzon to come out on top of the other 2, if you make Monzon respect you then he's going to come out much better for the rematch e.g it's like with the Bennie Briscoe fight, after the first you can tell that Monzon really respected Briscoe (Inside and out of the ring) and what he was capable of, the rematch is one of Monzon's better performances, he had a solid game plan and it was a true masterclass.

Be it that it was many years later though you can tell that Monzon brought 150% to that fight when you compare it to other fights, although Monzon always brought it all to the ring.

Hagler showed great versatility around his career and the ability to adapt, it would be interesting to see how he would come out against Monzon. Imo his best bet is too come out aggressive like he did against Hearns then his usual style and see if he can get a strong lead on Monzon and wear him down some, however I see Monzon then adapting too Haglers aggressive style and Hagler going back to boxing him and lateral movement which imo wouldn't work, Monzon was great at controlling range and tempo.

It all strongly depends on what kind of Hagler turns up, due to Monzon lack of high level southpaw opponents Haglers best bet would be to stay Southpaw.

Very very hard fight to judge, I don't see many MW beating Monzon at all but if it's anyone to do it it's Hagler and Vice Versa but then again I see Monzon's style giving Hagler big problems , this is probably one of the hardest fantasy fights that personally I can think off.

I'll go with in a trilogy it's 2-1 to Monzon, all points, don't see any stoppages here.
          I don't rate Monzon that highly though. While I do believe he's an ATG Middleweight I rank him around #10 all-time while I rank Hagler at #4 all-time.

Poet

Comment

Taking Hagler, personally. Incredibly versatile, he'd pull it out.

Comment

I think Hagler would outwork him to win a fairly decisive decision.I don't think Hagler would stay on the outside and try to box with a guy who knew how to use his jab from a distance as well as Monzon used his.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post

I too hold the same view, for me its 2-1 Monzoon...I also give the slightest edge in punching power to Monzoon for his left hook was better than Hagler's left cross. Roberto Duran after his fight with Hagler stated that "His left is dead". As for their right they both had a very good one. Monzons right hand cross and Hagler right hook cancel each other out.

I just see Monzon winning this one but its very close..Its a good one..One that I would pay to see.

Comment

Working...
                X