No announcement yet.

Here to learn the training technique / boxing of the past please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here to learn the training technique / boxing of the past please

There's a thread in NSB about fighters from 60 years ago not being competitive.

I wanna do my own research really. Sad to say I have not studied the past of boxing, and may have missed out on so much.

So what was training like? Methods etc... did they have doctors?

Lifestyles and what era? Country you are talking about.

Also what was boxing like? Was it a business, was it a big sport?

Thanks

Anyone able to give me anything?

I guess I could browse the forum then and see if there's anything to help me. Cheers

Comment

Here is some training video of Louis and Marciano if you want.

Comment

The training methods are similar as today, bag work, plyometrics / calisthenics, road work, jump rope, chop wood, hammer etc.
        A lot of people like to try and make out that all boxers back in them days were in poor shape and "only fighting for beer money", which is just wrong and shows lack of knowledge of the sport or that they haven't seen many old fights / boxers, the majority of boxers were all prepared to go 15 - 20 rounds and that was with same day weigh in, go further back and some were going even more.
        Yes they had doctors.
        I will say that diet has improved though, one of the reasons the HW division are on average taller then yesteryear.

Boxing was a huge sport back in them days much bigger then it is now, even though it wasn't as globalized as it is today there were many more Gyms around and just as many boxers. There are figures around somewhere with the approx amount of professional boxers per state and country back then and now.

60 years ago was not competitive ?.

Bit Off Topic but the only thing that people seem to come up with to say that the sport back then was not competitive was that they don't have the Nutritions of today, I ask them to breakdown why Boxer A from the 2000's would be able to beat Boxer B from the 1950's, which on one occasion Pascal vs Archie Moore and they said, "well Pascal has better training, to think Moore would compete today is just dumb", they can't break down a fight or tell me how Pascal is better.

Take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Also, welcome to the History Section.
        Last edited by NChristo; 09-15-2010, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Have I got the book for you...

Comment

Originally posted by PainKiller View Post

I wanna do my own research really. Sad to say I have not studied the past of boxing, and may have missed out on so much.

Thanks
            Welcome to the Boxing History section! Judging by your interests I'd hazzard to say you'll enjoy this section much more than you will Non-Stop Boxing

Poet

Comment

How can you enjoy Non-Stop Bull**** over History? That's just Pacstans and Mayweather Nuthuggers. Here, we at least have some smart posters in between the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                How can you enjoy Non-Stop Bull**** over History? That's just Pacstans and Mayweather Nuthuggers. Here, we at least have some smart posters in between the trolls.
                Lol, there are some decent posters in NSB, they're just outnumbered by the fan boys and such who are ruining it.

Comment

Yeah, I know, I know. I was kidding. But I don't even go there because I'm sick of Floyd Mayweather. And hating. There's hate here, but a lot less of it.

Comment

Originally posted by PainKiller View Post

Thanks
                    Rocky would normally run at least 5-6 miles a day year round, but when a fight was signed he'd increase the distance to 9-10 miles, and usually the last week up it to 12-15 miles. On top of this, he liked to walk another 5-10 miles in the late afternoon or evening. And he did all this in the hilly country around Grossinger's, where he trained.

To train for the bout Jeffries' daily training included a 14-mile (23 km) run, 2 hours of skipping rope, medicine ball training, 20 minutes sparring on the heavy bag, and at least 12 rounds of sparring in the ring. He also trained in wrestling.

"I'll do no more 18 or 20 mile runs" he said in his initial week's work. "I'll start off and run six or eight miles and then I'll walk back at a good nice gait. Next day I'll walk out my distance and run back. Another day I'll run a mile and walk a mile, alternating for 10 or 15 miles. Another day I'll follow the telegraph poles. I'll run at a top speed between two poles, then walk between the next two".

According to his friends, Fitzsimmons is the possessor of no bad habits. Fitzsimmons has wisely remarked that if he couldn't keep himself straight with the prospect of a fortune before him no trainer could. Fitz had a visitor one time who wanted to know all about his mode of training. All Fitzsimmons did was to hand him the following schedule:

6.30am - Rises, bathes, dresses.
                    7.00 - Sherry and egg
                    7.05 to 8.15 - Rides on bicycle (15 Miles)
                    8.15 - Breakfast
                    9.30 - Goes 15 miles afoot
                    11.30 - Has rubdown and rests
                    1.00pm - Dinner
                    3.00 - Works in gymnasium
                    5.00 - Showerbath and rubdown
                    6.00 - Supper
                    8.00,9.00,10.00,11.00 - Bed

Comment

Working...
                    X