Clear All

• Forgotten British crowd pleaser's

Tony Sibson
    Pat Barrett
    Kirkland Laing
    Dave Green
    Gary Mason

What did you think of them.

Not many crowd pleasers there sonny. Maybe Green and Sibson (to some extent). The rest? No.

Comment

[QUOTE=sonnyboyx2;9194179]Tony Sibson
      Pat Barrett
      Kirkland Laing
      Dave Green
      Gary Mason

What did you think of them.[/QUO

Sibson was lovely puncher and obviously had the misfortune to run head long into Hagler. Don't think he was genuine world class and I dont think he'd fare too well in the super middle division today either.

I always think of Mason as somewhat of joke but I came across a few clips recently and he was probably better than I remember. Still pretty average but I'd fancy him over your Sextons or McDonalds of this world.

Comment

Mason was just a gentle giant. Some brits overhyped him to a potential he never had. And he was never a crowdpleaser unless the crowd is pleased by seeing a tomatocan getting KTFO.

Comment

[QUOTE=VibesMan;9194452]
          Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Tony Sibson
          Pat Barrett
          Kirkland Laing
          Dave Green
          Gary Mason

What did you think of them.[/QUO

Sibson was lovely puncher and obviously had the misfortune to run head long into Hagler. Don't think he was genuine world class and I dont think he'd fare too well in the super middle division today either.

I always think of Mason as somewhat of joke but I came across a few clips recently and he was probably better than I remember. Still pretty average but I'd fancy him over your Sextons or McDonalds of this world.
          you must be joking.. Sibson would clean out todays division without much trouble...As far as crowd-pleasing goes then you obviously have not seen Sibson vs Minter, Collins, Classon, Lucas, Anderson, Chinon, Salvamini all action-packed fights...Dave Green also took part in some great slugfests with Rhiney, Singleton, Palomino, Stacey with his fight against Andy Price being a forgotten classic... Barrett ran up a 29 fight unbeaten run winning british & european titles with many of his KO wins spectacular....we obviously have a forum full of 17yrs olds who's only claim to boxing knowledge is clicking onto Boxrec which is sad really.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Mason was just a gentle giant. Some brits overhyped him to a potential he never had. And he was never a crowdpleaser unless the crowd is pleased by seeing a tomatocan getting KTFO.
            34 KOs from 37 fights is a gentle giant?... ive seen Mason lift guys off the canvas with a punch...i dont agree with you on this Bat

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              34 KOs from 37 fights is a gentle giant?... ive seen Mason lift guys off the canvas with a punch...i dont agree with you on this Bat
              That's ok sonny. I just dont take that much pleasure in watching hapless fighters getting bowled over on a consistent basis, but that's of course subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                Not many crowd pleasers there sonny. Maybe Green and Sibson (to some extent). The rest? No.

Loved watching Barrett and Laing, Laing was frustrating to watch sometimes but when he turned up and put the effort in he was a crowd pleaser.

Comment

Michael Watson should definately be on this list along with Dennis Andries.

Errol Christie
                  Colin McMillan
                  Ryan Rhodes

The three above I always enjoyed watching.

Comment

Originally posted by -CANE- View Post
                    Loved watching Barrett and Laing, Laing was frustrating to watch sometimes but when he turned up and put the effort in he was a crowd pleaser.

Laing was so frustrating to me. He looked to be a worldbeater at times but more often than not he plainly sucked so I would never call him a crowdpleaser in general.

Pat Barrett I saw quite a few times as well BITD, and I never thought of him as a crowdpleaser. Of course it depends on defintion but for my money a crowdpleaser is one who most often fights good competition in give-and-take wars. Kinda like Benn.

Comment

Working...
                    X