Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The cross defense : when did it become obsolete ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cross defense : when did it become obsolete ?

As we know, most old timers and some modern fighters used the cross defense at some point in history. I can't really put up a range in years, maybe from 1915 to 1955 ? I don't know... Today, we just don't see this blocking technique used anymore.

When did that block defense become obsolete ? Why ? Someone knows that ? Of course, it didn't happen overnight, but still, there must have been a point when trainers started adopting the ''conventional blocking defense'' for whatever reason.

There are few examples of fighters post-1960 who would still rely on the cross defense, and most of the time, it looks like they use it in an instinctive way, because they're in trouble and try to defend themselves in the best possible way (see Holyfield, Benn,...), as if to cover the biggest possible hittable area.

Take Foreman for example : he, on the advice of Archie Moore, did the opposite : he went from a ''conventional block defense'' to a cross defense. Why did he do that ? Because it suited his style better ? Why did he switch ? There are a couple other examples of dinosaurs, such as Bert Cooper.

Can't we suggest that the cross defense offers advantages and disadvantages, just like the conventional blocking defense ? The conventional defense is sometimes weak against straight punches, whereas the cross defense is weak against uppercutts and may delay the time reaction for counters.

So why aren't there fighters out there today to still use the cross defense ?

When it ceased to be taught/easier to block punches with today's gloves than in the past. Also it's mostly used for infighting, and truthfully there aren't many infighters today.

Comment

Having huge arms like George Foreman's or Archie Moore's (for a light heavy) helps.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        Having huge arms like George Foreman's or Archie Moore's (for a light heavy) helps.
        Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        When it ceased to be taught/easier to block punches with today's gloves than in the past. Also it's mostly used for infighting, and truthfully there aren't many infighters today.
        thanks for the comments, it does make sense

if you put thin gloves like they used to be on both sides of your face to protect your head and chin, you gonna have some real problems

I guess we can't overlook the size of the arms and the fact that the cross defense is very effective for in-fighting too

I don't know, it just looks like a more instinctive way of blocking incoming punches, I just love to watch a man like Holyfield, laying on the ropes in a bit of trouble, using the cross defense, eventually going through it

Comment

Working...
        X