Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankie Liles: What do people here think of him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankie Liles: What do people here think of him?

Best wins:
    Tim Littles
    Michael Nunn
    Merqui Sosa
    Steve Little
    Accomplishments:
    WBA smw champ:7 defenses
    record
    won 32 (KO 19) + lost 3 (KO 2) + drawn 0 = 36
    Not much info out about this guys. Ive only seen three of his fights(Nunn/ Mauricio/Littles II). I'm interested in what other people here think of him. Did you think he was a top fighter? Do you think he could of held his own against the other smw champions of his era? etc etc

Originally posted by -LightsOut- View Post

Best wins:
    Tim Littles
    Michael Nunn
    Merqui Sosa
    Steve Little
    Accomplishments:
    WBA smw champ:7 defenses
    record
    won 32 (KO 19) + lost 3 (KO 2) + drawn 0 = 36
    Not much info out about this guys. Ive only seen three of his fights(Nunn/ Mauricio/Littles II). I'm interested in what other people here think of him. Did you think he was a top fighter? Do you think he could of held his own against the other smw champions of his era? etc etc
    He was a solid, workmanlike fighter who always gave 100 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
      He was a solid, workmanlike fighter who always gave 100 percent.
      I think he was better off fighting out of the orthodox stance, it was obvious to me that he was a righty fighting as a southy

It would of been nice if he got the chance to unify with some of the other guys in his division like Benn, Eubank etc

Comment

Good, rangy southpaw, very good counterpuncher. Had a war with Tim Littles in their second fight, which no one expected because their first fight was a kind of uneventful. Roy Jones didn't want much to do with him.

Comment

I think he was better off fighting out of the orthodox stance, it was obvious to me that he was a righty fighting as a southy

It would of been nice if he got the chance to unify with some of the other guys in his division like Benn, Eubank etc
          He deserved fights with those men as well as RJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
            He deserved fights with those men as well as RJJ.
            King mentioned Benn-Liles during the post fight interview after Benn-McClellan, i dont know what happened after that. I doubt if Eubank would of faced him at that point either. He never really showed any interest with unifying with the other champs

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
              Roy Jones didn't want much to do with him.
              Liles-Littles II was a great fight, its a shame Littles didnt achive more in his career

I also watched the Liles-Nunn fight the other day and during the post fight interview, Liles said that the guy he wanted to fight the most is Roy Jones. He said that he would like to avenge his losses to Jones in the Amateurs.
              By July 1992, "Fabulous" Frankie Liles was 21-0 and had earned his first big fight, a shot at the USBA title (a regional American belt) against Tim "The Doctor of Style" Littles. Litltes and Liles had fought as
              amateurs, with Liles winning all three engagements. Both also owned amateur wins over Roy Jones, who was a pro middleweight fighter rising alongside them (albeit with much more of a spotlight). However, Jones spent all his career avoiding Littles and especially Liles, while Littles and Liles actively sought each other out and became arch-rivals. In their first clash as pros, Tim Littles got the win and his revenge, beating Frankie Liles in a Unanimous Decision.
              The Champion
              Frankie Liles won his title in August, and Roy Jones won the IBF's belt by beating James Toney in November. There was plenty of talk that these two amateur rivals should have squared off in a title unification bout, and given Jones's lucrative HBO contract the money for such a bout was certainly there. However, that fight never happened and it was entirely the fault of Roy Jones, Jr., who preferred to fight a string of tomato cans on HBO-televised fights rather than pay Liles a reasonable purse for a much bigger (and perhaps riskier) fight.
              http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g2.html?cat=49
              Last edited by Toney616; 09-07-2010, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Liles-Littles II was a great fight, its a shame Littles didnt achive more in his career

I also watched the Liles-Nunn fight the other day and during the post fight interview, Liles said that the guy he wanted to fight the most is Roy Jones. He said that he would like to avenge his losses to Jones in the Amateurs.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g2.html?cat=49
                Yeah, Jones didn't want any part of Liles. Liles gave him hell in the last amateur fight they had which was to qualify for the Olympics. It was a war and Jones barely eked out the win.

Comment

8. Frank Liles - After making a name for himself during his stint in the amateur ranks, Liles rapidly rose through the ranks in the early 90s. He became the first man to stop the dangerous Merqui Sosa before eventually winning the WBA title from the spoiler Steve Little in '94. Seven title defenses followed, including a win over the respected Michael Nunn and avenging his first loss by stopping Tim Littles in three. Liles southpaw style and badass reputation made it difficult to secure fights with other marquee opponents. As the list of evading opponents grew, so did his frustrations until he eventually lost to the unheralded Byron Mitchell in a fight he was comfortably ahead. Still, to this day, many experts and fans tab Liles as one of the very few fighters who would've given his former amateur rival, Roy Jones his first
                  http://*********.com/article_detail.php?AT=521
                  What about fights with Toney or Calzaghe, does anyone here know if those fights were ever discussed
                  Last edited by Toney616; 09-07-2010, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                    Yeah, Jones didn't want any part of Liles. Liles gave him hell in the last amateur fight they had which was to qualify for the Olympics. It was a war and Jones barely eked out the win.
                    Thanks for answering my question
                    Do you think Liles could of beat Toney

Comment

Working...
                    X