Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antonio Tarver:What do people here think of him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonio Tarver:What do people here think of him?

Best wins:
    Roy Jones
    Roy Jones
    Montell Griffin
    Glen Johnson

Accomplishments:
    3X lhw champion

Do you think he was a one hit wonder? Great lhw champion? Roy Jones's kryptonite?

Thoughts please

Many say Tarver was in the right place at the right time against Roy Jones Jr. And his losses against Eric Harding, G. Johnson and Hopkins might support it.

Comment

what are you talking about....tarver came back and kod harding....and johnson fight couldve gone either way...

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
        Many say Tarver was in the right place at the right time against Roy Jones Jr. And his losses against Eric Harding, G. Johnson and Hopkins might support it.
        He did manage to beat those guys in their rematches. He went 2-1 with Jones so he must of had something going for him. For the record I think he should be 3-0 against Jones

Comment

One hit wonder?...
          Seriously, i think he's a good fighter. People may say, he faced roy at the right time, but i believe he will always cause some troubles for roy even in his prime(not beating him ). Tarver not only did beat roy physically, he also beat him mentally(before the trilogy).
          Last edited by T.McGrady; 09-04-2010, 01:49 AM.

Comment

I think he was a pretty good, solid fighter. Solid fundamentals, big left hand, good size, average speed. As far as the era's top LHWs, he has a good resume, although it often took him two tries to do so. Not a great fighter but a good one with a respectful resume.

Comment

Originally posted by T.McGrady View Post
              One hit wonder?...
              Seriously, i think he's a good fighter. People may say, he faced roy at the right time, but i believe he will always cause some troubles for roy even in his prime(not beating him ). Tarver not only did beat roy physically, he also beat him mentally(before the trilogy).
              I agree with that. I think he always had the style which would of given Jones problems

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
                I think he was a pretty good, solid fighter. Solid fundamentals, big left hand, good size, average speed. As far as the era's top LHWs, he has a good resume, although it often took him two tries to do so. Not a great fighter but a good one with a respectful resume.
                I agree with this as well. When I was looking up his accomplishments on Boxrec, I realized that he didn't even make one successful defense of any of the legit belts he held. Although I do think he deserved to win Tarver-Jones I

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
                  hopkins and G.Johnson could have competed in any era and given the best a decent run for tehir money. harding is one of the most underrated fighters in the last 20 years.

the first glen johnson fight couldve gon either way anyways, i acctually had tarver winning. and then he beat him clearly in the rematch, he knocked out harding in a rematch and hopkins is a legend. no shame in losing to hopkins.

i dont think tarver is a ATG or a legend, but u cant deny that he was one of the best fighters of his time. when you rank the best p4p fighters of this era tarver deserves atleast to be mentioned.

Comment

He was talented for sure. He was a great amatuer. And overall had a good pro career. But to be honest, I have my douts with him.

He was at the right place at the right time I feel, when he was fighting a weight drained Roy Jones, and even then a past prime & weight drained managed to beat him once.

His wins are farily impressive over Jones, but Jones since them fights has proved he was never the same since the weight drop back down to LHW, Am sure other top level fighters at that time could of done the same to Jones, as Glen Johnson proved.

It wasn't that Tarver was that good, it was Jones was that bad.

Tarver always blew hot & cold, and could never manage a to be a long reigning dominant champion and never showed signs of dominance which his peers like Hopkins & Roy did.

And I think that hurts him & his legacy.

Comment

Working...
                    X