No announcement yet.

Jose Napoles vs Thomas Hearns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Napoles vs Thomas Hearns

At 147lb. Both fighters at there peak at the weight.

Who wins and how?
    Napoles Via KO/TKO
    10.00%
    Napoles Via Decision
    0.00%
    Hearns Via KO/TKO
    80.00%
    Hearns Via Decision
    10.00%

two great fighters but Hearns was an awesome physical speciman and i would take him to TKO Napoles 7-9rds

Comment

Hearns would look huge next to Napoles. As against Monzon, Napoles would be forced to walk in while attempting to slip the Hearns jab, leaving himself open for right hands. The good news is that Hearns isn't as strong and durable as Monzon but the bad news is that he's faster and more powerful. Monzon's thudding blows wore down the game but outmatched Napoles and cut him badly by the mid rounds.

Napoles isn't completely without a chance as he put on intelligent pressure effectively and hit hard enough to hurt anybody at welterweight but it's one of the toughest match-ups that I can think of for him at 147.

Comment

I would go with Hearns. Unless perhaps Hearns struggled to make welterweight after being middleweight champion then I would pick Napoles(thats what Griffith before Napoles defeated him)

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
          Hearns would look huge next to Napoles. As against Monzon, Napoles would be forced to walk in while attempting to slip the Hearns jab, leaving himself open for right hands. The good news is that Hearns isn't as strong and durable as Monzon but the bad news is that he's faster and more powerful. Monzon's thudding blows wore down the game but outmatched Napoles and cut him badly by the mid rounds.

Napoles isn't completely without a chance as he put on intelligent pressure effectively and hit hard enough to hurt anybody at welterweight but it's one of the toughest match-ups that I can think of for him at 147.
          Pretty much agreed. I would add that Napoles is also defensively slicker than the guys Hearns faced at 47.

That being said, my money would still be on Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
            Pretty much agreed. I would add that Napoles is also defensively slicker than the guys Hearns faced at 47.

That being said, my money would still be on Hearns.
            you think Napoles is slicker than Ray Leonard? ... who Hearns out-boxed `twice`.... Hearns IMO is very underated and i feel it is a myth him having a weak chin.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              you think Napoles is slicker than Ray Leonard? ... who Hearns out-boxed `twice`.... Hearns IMO is very underated and i feel it is a myth him having a weak chin.
              I think Napoles was slicker than Ray.

I actually think Ray boxing ability(slickness, defense etc) is somewhat overrated. But, I also think Ray fighting ability(brawling, offense etc) is somewhat underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                Yes I think so. Napoles is slicker than Leonard. Leonard the greater fighter of the two, who would IMO beat Napoles. But Napoles is slicker.

Weak chin = Hardly a myth considering he was knocked out 3 times. Not a china chin, but certainly a liability.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                  Yes I think so. Napoles is slicker than Leonard. Leonard the greater fighter of the two, who would IMO beat Napoles. But Napoles is slicker.

Weak chin = Hardly a myth considering he was knocked out 3 times. Not a china chin, but certainly a liability.
                  Lets take a look at those three KO losses:

Hagler - Hearns broke his right-hand in the opening round

Leonard (1) - Hearns had never fought past 8rds and was more exhausted than KOd

Barkley (1) - Hearns seconds away from victory when caught with thunderous left-hook (lapse in concentration)

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post

this... and if i may add, if hearns went all out in the first few rounds (like in the duran and/or hagler fight) i will be having difficulty envisioning mantequilla weathering that storm... but if he does, napoles' chances of winning rises significantly IMO...

Comment

Working...
                    X