This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TBear View Post
    Not sure who this was but I believe it is Randy Shields, welterweight contender from 60-70's
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/5MUdpR]
    Sure looks like Shields. who I saw fight many times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Sure looks like Shields. who I saw fight many times.
      You were lucky to have been in California during that era. It was a hotbed for boxing.

Comment

You were lucky to have been in California during that era. It was a hotbed for boxing.
        Having weekly TV coverage really helped that happen (along with the local talent pool of course). Everyone always talks about the big fights, but it is the weekly shows that lay the groundwork for the big fights. I'll never forget the first time that I saw Mike Tyson fight was on ESPN.

Comment

Having weekly TV coverage really helped that happen (along with the local talent pool of course). Everyone always talks about the big fights, but it is the weekly shows that lay the groundwork for the big fights. I'll never forget the first time that I saw Mike Tyson fight was on ESPN.
          Donnie Long?

Comment

Donnie Long?
            The first thing I saw of Tyson, was some KO cavalcade on danish monopoly television. Since it was a monopoly, all my friends had seen it as well. We had so much fun with that Master Of Disaster gimmick.

Everybody knew Tyson after that. Good times for boxing.

Comment

• Marvin Hagler vs Ray Leonard

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/tag/marvin-hagler/

Comment

Donnie Long?
                Sorry, my memory isn't quite that good.

Comment

Sorry, my memory isn't quite that good.
                  I was a Top Rank Boxing(espn) regular and I remember hearing that a prospect(Tyson) was going to be on against Donnie Long. Long had quite a bit of experience including a distance losses to ex-champ John Tate and James Broad. To me it seemed like a tough fight for the young start. Tyson came out in the first and boom!. Al Bernstien was quite impressed yet surprised. So was I.

That was the first time I seen Tyson.

Comment

• Joe Louis in the corner. Anyone know who the fighter is? It didn't say.

Comment

• Originally posted by jas View Post
                      Joe Louis in the corner. Anyone know who the fighter is? It didn't say.

That looks like Ernie Terrell.

Comment

Working...
                      X