Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn vs Sugar Ray Leonard 1990???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigel Benn vs Sugar Ray Leonard 1990???

In 1990 nigel benns promoter ambrose mendy was trying secure a big super fight with sugar ray leonard. Does anyone know why this didnt happen? Would of been a great match i think benn would of been to much for a old lenoard. What do you think?

Real tough call. The reason I felt that Leonard was ineffective against Norris in 1991 was due to him making light middleweight after several years at middleweight and supermiddleweight, he did win rounds in this fight though!

Leonard would have met Benn at middleweight so wouldn't have been weight drained. he obvious question is was 1990 Leonard as good as the 1990 Eubank that stopped Benn that year?

Eubank......like Leonard was a mobile, slippery, tough chinned combination puncher, just what Benn hated dealing with!

In Leonard's previous fight in 1989 with Duran he did still look mobile, solid and had his usual fast hands. Horrible fight though! If I'm honest, I've got a feeling that Leonard may still have had a bit too much for Benn, but it would have been very tough for him.

Comment

Woulda been good

Nigel did issue a challenge to Leonard in the interview after his fight with Barkley so the fight coulda happened. Its on Youtube in the ABC broadcast of Benn vs Barkley.

While Ray was the superior boxer to Eubank I really dont think he was anywhere near as hungry at that point in time and also loses in the chin department. Maybe Leonard wasn't too confident of winning that one after seeing what Nigel did to Barkley.

However, Nigel always struggled against decent boxers and could be quite easily out boxed against top level so to me this is a toss up. Not at prime for prime, but at the time of Benn's challenge to Ray.

Woulda been a goodun either way.

Comment

w.t.f.????

This is an unfair thread HONESTLY. IF your gonna match up fighters, let them be in their respective primes. BENN didn't have the talent to compete with LEONARD. ARE YOU SERIOUS? **** NIGEL BENN For what he did to G.M.!!!! He should have been charged with MANSLAUGHTER! How about that! piece of ****!

Comment

Wouldnt Benn be a step to big for Ray ??

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            Real tough call. The reason I felt that Leonard was ineffective against Norris in 1991 was due to him making light middleweight after several years at middleweight and supermiddleweight, he did win rounds in this fight though!

Leonard would have met Benn at middleweight so wouldn't have been weight drained. he obvious question is was 1990 Leonard as good as the 1990 Eubank that stopped Benn that year?

Eubank......like Leonard was a mobile, slippery, tough chinned combination puncher, just what Benn hated dealing with!

In Leonard's previous fight in 1989 with Duran he did still look mobile, solid and had his usual fast hands. Horrible fight though! If I'm honest, I've got a feeling that Leonard may still have had a bit too much for Benn, but it would have been very tough for him.
            Agree especially with Leonard's weaking himself dropping to 154 lbs to meet Norris.

Skills wise Leonard would have been a big favorite but this was towards the end of Leonards career and at Benns natural weight but I still have a hard time seeing Benn win this.

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
              This is an unfair thread HONESTLY. IF your gonna match up fighters, let them be in their respective primes. BENN didn't have the talent to compete with LEONARD. ARE YOU SERIOUS? **** NIGEL BENN For what he did to G.M.!!!! He should have been charged with MANSLAUGHTER! How about that! piece of ****!

You can't charge a boxer for manslaughter just because he beat up his opponent.

It's unfortunate what happened to Mcclellan,but boxers know the risks of what can happen in that ring.

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
                **** NIGEL BENN For what he did to G.M.!!!! He should have been charged with MANSLAUGHTER! How about that! piece of ****!
                Most stupid post i have eva read on any forum ....i wont even bother asking you to explain this post for me !

Comment

It's the truth.......

BENN..........wasn't beatin' up nobody. He was in ENGLAND and the ref was hired off the street or something. One of the worse officiated fights I ever SEEN. I'm not here to meet the approval of unrealistic fans mate. I'm here to speask the TRUTH about boxing. That other guy gave me red K. because of my original post. G.M. is in BAD shape so once again, **** NIGEL BENN! Disrespecting LEONARD like this. He would have K.O.ed his ASS!

Comment

It is no coincidence that Leonard stayed the f-uck away from any natural middleweight under 30.

Comment

Working...
                    X