Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tall Puncher's vs Short Pressure Fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall Puncher's vs Short Pressure Fighters?

These are always the best fights in my opinion, but who do you think normally gets the better in this exchange?

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    These are always the best fights in my opinion, but who do you think normally gets the better in this exchange?
    It just depends, but, in general I'd lean towards the taller fighter who knows how to utilize his long reach.

Being longer is always a plus in boxing, although the smaller, more compact fighter has his advantages as well. However, I don't think tall vs short generally produce the best fights.

My definition of a good fight is a hard, bruisin' one between highly skilled fighters who are evenly matched in alot of areas.
    Last edited by 1 on 1; 04-25-2010, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Depends on if the taller fighter uses their reach well and their skill level. All things being equal their physical advantages should win out, although the more compact fighters often hit harder because they have a better center of balance.

Comment

smaller fighter usually wins.. its harder to punch down than up, if a fighter is 6ft 6ins punching down against a 5ft 11ins fighter who has to punch up, the taller fighters chin is just the right height at around 6ft for the smaller fighter to hit it with maximum power in his punch, whereas the taller fighter cannot get full leverage into a downward punch on the smaller fighters chin which will be around 5ft 5in. this is assuming both fighters are of similar ability.. Joe Frazier bobbing & weaving his chin would be at the 5ft height he would then deliver left-hooks with devastating power to land on the chin of his opponent at around the 6ft mark

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          smaller fighter usually wins.. its harder to punch down than up, if a fighter is 6ft 6ins punching down against a 5ft 11ins fighter who has to punch up, the taller fighters chin is just the right height at around 6ft for the smaller fighter to hit it with maximum power in his punch, whereas the taller fighter cannot get full leverage into a downward punch on the smaller fighters chin which will be around 5ft 5in. this is assuming both fighters are of similar ability.. Joe Frazier bobbing & weaving his chin would be at the 5ft height he would then deliver left-hooks with devastating power to land on the chin of his opponent at around the 6ft mark
          Tbh, i'm struggling with prime 4 prime examples of where the short guy comes out on top.. Foreman had Fraziers number, Hearns Durans as well as that of Cuevas at 147, Spinks had the better of Quawi and so on..

Comment

Prime example of a tall puncher beating a short pressure fighter: Foster vs Tiger.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 on 1 View Post
              It just depends, but, in general I'd lean towards the taller fighter who knows how to utilize his long reach.

Being longer is always a plus in boxing, although the smaller, more compact fighter has his advantages as well. However, I don't think tall vs short generally produce the best fights.

My definition of a good fight is a hard, bruisin' one between highly skilled fighters who are evenly matched in alot of areas.
              Maybe I should have said, 'more interesting'

I'd rather study adversities being used as assets than see 2 guys of equal stamp having a chess match, but it's all down to personal choice at the end of the day..

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                Prime example of a tall puncher beating a short pressure fighter: Foster vs Tiger.
                But it's not a prime vs prime example..

Comment

But it's not a prime vs prime example..
                  You're right, of course... though Tiger was defending champ, he had definitely seen better days!

Comment

Tbh, i'm struggling with prime 4 prime examples of where the short guy comes out on top.. Foreman had Fraziers number, Hearns Durans as well as that of Cuevas at 147, Spinks had the better of Quawi and so on..
                    Frazier vs Ali
                    Frazier vs Bugner
                    Tua vs Ruiz
                    Mercer vs Lewis
                    McCall vs Lewis

Foreman repeatedly pushed Frazier back with both hands before letting go his hooks which was illegal but he got away with it, Foreman never once punched down all his punches was hooks & uppercuts and by repeatedly pushing Frazier he was straightening him up.. Hearns v Duran - Hearns was the pressure fighter of the two, Spinks v Qawi - Spinks nullified Qawi with his `herky-jerky`style and never let Qawi pressure him, it was more of a `snoozer` with Spinks walking away with his jab out the entire fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X