Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Carlos Monzon of won the lightheavyweight title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Carlos Monzon of won the lightheavyweight title?

While monzon was middleweight champion, the lightheavyweights champions were Bob Foster and John Conteh there was big talk of the fights happening but they always seemed to be just talk nothing else! how would of the great monzon done against conteh or foster?

relying on your chin and power isn't a formula for success against bigger men, especially if the bigger guy is a lot faster. foster wins on cuts before the 8th imo.

Comment

I think he would have beaten Conteh and probably lost to Foster. Would have been a great, close fight though.

Comment

I think he stands a good chance of beating them both.. There isn't anyone as good as Monzon on either resume.. Foster struggled with anyone he couldn't KO, which would be Monzon.. With regard to Conteh, Carlos could party and fight..

Comment

i think Foster & Conteh would both beat Monzon, Conteh was a big Light-heavyweight who moved down from Heavyweight where he started off his career at 185lbs fighting fully grown Heavyweights like Billy Aird, Terry Daniels & Dave Mathews, it was not unto Muhammad Ali adviced Conteh to move down in weight and campaign at Light-Heavyweight that Conteh really came to the fore.. Foster also often campaigned at heavyweight although he had no luck there, Monzon was decked and badly rocked by a former lightweight in Rodrigo Valdez who was a former 135lber, i cannot see him beat such a murderous puncher as Bob Foster or a skilled operator like Conteh who carried bombs in both hands, Conteh was skillful enough to beat world class `Indian Lopez with one hand after breaking his right hand in the opening round, although Monzon was good i dont think he could have beat Lopez with 2 hands never mind only one.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            i think Foster & Conteh would both beat Monzon, Conteh was a big Light-heavyweight who moved down from Heavyweight where he started off his career at 185lbs fighting fully grown Heavyweights like Billy Aird, Terry Daniels & Dave Mathews, it was not unto Muhammad Ali adviced Conteh to move down in weight and campaign at Light-Heavyweight that Conteh really came to the fore.. Foster also often campaigned at heavyweight although he had no luck there, Monzon was decked and badly rocked by a former lightweight in Rodrigo Valdez who was a former 135lber, i cannot see him beat such a murderous puncher as Bob Foster or a skilled operator like Conteh who carried bombs in both hands, Conteh was skillful enough to beat world class `Indian Lopez with one hand after breaking his right hand in the opening round, although Monzon was good i dont think he could have beat Lopez with 2 hands never mind only one.
            Well if your gonna talk about monzon being dropped by a former lightweight, what does that say about heavyweight contender harry wills??? who was knocked out by a former featherweight in sam langford! the same harry wills who dempsey avoided for years! Also that was monzon's last fight when he got dropped by valdez, he always showed a cast iron chin in his prime! Also monzon would of wiped the floor with lopez! yori was a hard man and a good fighter but he would not of beat monzon. Carlos would have to much of eveything for conteh, monzon punched harder, had the better chin, and the better skills. Foster would maybe be a step to far for monzon but i would not count him out.

Comment

Working...
            X