No announcement yet.

Champions who cleaned out their division avoiding no-one

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Of course, everybody wants a big payday. I'll fight Tyson tomorrow night on PPV, too.

Holyfields first fight at HW was 1988. How could he come up and just face the undisputed HW champion of the world when Spinks was a much bigger fight, and at the time was talked about nonstop? Tyson was asked about Spinks after a few fights, and it was almost being asked condescendingly in post fight interviews as if Tyson was ducking him.

There were better fights available for Tyson at the time so he took those. When you get to be as big as he was you fight 2-3 times per year - you can't fight every yahoo that calls you out.

I think 92 was the appropriate time for Holyfield to get his shot, but Tyson got the **** conviction, like you mentioned earlier.

There really isn't a legit case that anybody can make toward Tyson ducking people.
    How crazy as it may seem they kept talking about Tyson right after Tyson beat Berbick. But i was happy EVH stayed at Cruiser and united the title against guys like Deleon. They felt Tyson was a small HW and Holyfield's chin wouldn't succumb to Tyson. Tyson needed to unify the belts and fight guys like Bonecrusher and Tucker.

After Tyson loss to Douglas and than Holyfield beat Douglas: that was the time for the fight to happen. But deals couldnt be reached so Holyfield defending his title against guys like Cooper, Foreman, and when Tyson was in jail he fought Holmes and loss the title to Bowe and than regained it.

The Lennox Lewis documentary Beyond the Glory tried to put a spin that Tyson ducked Lewis when he won the WBC title in 1996 when he decided to fight Bruce Seldon for the WBA and relinquish his WBC. Correct me if i wrong but didn't he lose the WBC for failing to fight Lennox Lewis in 1996? Than the WBC was vacated until a rematch between McCall and Lewis.
    Last edited by HaglerSteelChin; 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
      How crazy as it may seem they kept talking about Tyson right after Tyson beat Berbick. But i was happy EVH stayed at Cruiser and united the title against guys like Deleon. They felt Tyson was a small HW and Holyfield's chin wouldn't succumb to Tyson. Tyson needed to unify the belts and fight guys like Bonecrusher and Tucker.

After Tyson loss to Douglas and than Holyfield beat Douglas: that was the time for the fight to happen. But deals couldnt be reached so Holyfield defending his title against guys like Cooper, Foreman, and when Tyson was in jail he fought Holmes and loss the title to Bowe and than regained it.

The Lennox Lewis documentary Beyond the Glory tried to put a spin that Tyson ducked Lewis when he won the WBC title in 1996 when he decided to fight Bruce Seldon for the WBA and relinquish his WBC. Correct me if i wrong but didn't he lose the WBC for failing to fight Lennox Lewis in 1996? Than the WBC was vacated until a rematch between McCall and Lewis.
      I'm not so sure he ducked Lewis, I think it's the other way around. As far as Tyson relinquishing the belt, I'm not sure, I'd have to look that up. I know Bowe lost his belt and it was given to Lennox, but as far as Tyson I'm not sure.

Where can we find this info, I'm interested in this topic.

Comment

I'm not so sure he ducked Lewis, I think it's the other way around. As far as Tyson relinquishing the belt, I'm not sure, I'd have to look that up. I know Bowe lost his belt and it was given to Lennox, but as far as Tyson I'm not sure.

Tyson paid Lewis step-aside money so he could fight Seldon.

Poet

Comment

i usually get info just watching fights and listen to what they say. I do have every Tyson and Holyfield fight but not sure if they mention it. I heard it in the Lennox Lewis doc Beyond the Glory which is on Youtube. Basically they tried to insinuate that Tyson took a fight with Seldon for the WBA instead of defending the WBC against Lewis. But than again its a Lennox Lewis bio so it can be bias, perhaps they couldnt agree on the money side of things? I do think that the 1996 Tyson had a much better shot against Lewis than the 2002 version.

Comment

i usually get info just watching fights and listen to what they say. I do have every Tyson and Holyfield fight but not sure if they mention it. I heard it in the Lennox Lewis doc Beyond the Glory which is on Youtube. Basically they tried to insinuate that Tyson took a fight with Seldon for the WBA instead of defending the WBC against Lewis. But than again its a Lennox Lewis bio so it can be bias, perhaps they couldnt agree on the money side of things? I do think that the 1996 Tyson had a much better shot against Lewis than the 2002 version.
            Interesting. I'm with you, but I'm quite certain that Tyson would send Lennox home early at that stage in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              Tyson paid Lewis step-aside money so he could fight Seldon.

Poet
              A fact that will be lost on any Tyson nuthugger. But here is a link anyway.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...-perfect-time/

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Ass Article
                . Lewis is without a doubt the King of the heavies, and that includes both Klitschko's, Byrd, Sanders, Tyson, Rahman, Ruiz, Mesi, Guinn and any other contender you want to name.

Great article, thanks for the posting. I also liked all the grammar errors, like using "to" where it should be "too" and how he says any Lewis beats any Tyson because he's "to big and long."

lmmfao, you are such a ****ing idiot, Jim Jeffries, but you amuse the **** out of me. I'd rep you if I didn't have -10k pts for that link, that made my day.

Comment

I do think that the 1996 Tyson had a much better shot against Lewis than the 2002 version.
                  undoubtedly, and i think he'd beat the pre-steward lewis. probably by knockout. way too easy to hit even for the head hunting one punching tyson.

Comment

Great article, thanks for the posting. I also liked all the grammar errors, like using "to" where it should be "too" and how he says any Lewis beats any Tyson because he's "to big and long."

lmmfao, you are such a ****ing idiot, Jim Jeffries, but you amuse the **** out of me. I'd rep you if I didn't have -10k pts for that link, that made my day.
                    Surely you don't think there is a grammatical or spelling error in the part you quoted, or that too should be used where he has to, because that would be idiotic.

Are you seriously denying that Tyson paid Lewis 4 million in "step aside" money?
                    Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 04-12-2010, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                      Surely you don't think there is a grammatical or spelling error in the part you quoted, or that too should be used where he has to, because that would be idiotic.
                      I'm aware of the proper usage.

Whoever wrote that article is a bias Lewis nuthugger. Did you write it, JJ? Or maybe it was your boyfriends hellboy and shazam!.

Terrible, terrible article. I am interested in finding out more on this step aside money issue, so why don't you go dig it up for me, son.

Comment

Working...
                      X