No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston vs Larry Holmes

i favor liston in this one, i think holmes would lose the jab contest.
    what do u think?

btw. holmes cant dance in the ring like ali did, it looks funny when he does it.
    one left hook of liston and holmes would stop jumping around in my opinion
    Liston by KO/TKO
    62.50%
    Liston by UD/SD
    12.50%
    Holmes by KO/TKO
    0.00%
    Holmes by UD/SD
    25.00%

I'd pick Larry by decision, but it would probably be close.

Two great Jabs, two great chins, edge in speed and defense to Holmes. Edge in power and aggression to Liston.

I'll go for workrate over 15 rounds to Larry though.

And I thought Holmes looked good on his toes, different to Ali.....but still graceful.

Comment

Very interesting fight, and a very tough call. Strangely enough I think Liston would take Larry, if anyone could get past Larry's jab and put a hurt on Holmes, it would have been Liston. Thinking about this match up reminds me of the jabbing contest between Thomas Hearns and Iran Barkley. Everyone knew Tommy had a great jab, but Iran out jabbed him. I think Liston would have been the heavyweight version of Iran Barkley against Larry Holmes playing the role of Hearns, just without Tommy's booming right hand. I know I will get a lot of disagreeing Holmes fans for this one, but I give the edge to Sonny Liston.

Liston by KO.

Comment

Hmm its close but I would have to take Holmes by narrow decision.

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
          i favor liston in this one, i think holmes would lose the jab contest.
          what do u think?

btw. holmes cant dance in the ring like ali did, it looks funny when he does it.
          one left hook of liston and holmes would stop jumping around in my opinion
          i agree with you here.. When Holmes got up on his toes he was not very good, he was far better fighting flat-footed, when he was on his toes he held both arms by his sides and would flick out a very weak jab, Holmes was never in Muhammad Ali`s league.. This match-up IMO is a Liston victory by KO

Berbick lands a number of good punches in that opening round because Holmes is very vulnerable when fighting on his toes.. Liston would chop him down, yet in peoples ATG Heavyweight Lists they will always have Holmes above Liston why?
          Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 04-12-2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            yet in peoples ATG Heavyweight Lists they will always have Holmes above Liston why?
            because holmes defended his title 20 times in a row, maybe thats the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
              Thinking about this match up reminds me of the jabbing contest between Thomas Hearns and Iran Barkley. Everyone knew Tommy had a great jab, but Iran out jabbed him.

There was never a jabbing contest between Hearns and barkley and nobody but Virgil Hill ever outjabbed Hearns.

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post

I agree with this.Holmes knew how to move around the ring but it looked very awkward when he did.

It reminds me of the way forrest gump run in those steel leg braces

Comment

Holmes vs Berbick- i think that is the fight where Tompkins kept calling Mills Lane the fillipino ref "Carlos Padilla". He did like 3 or 4 times during the fight and none of his fellow commentators even corrected him. It may seem like Cherry Picking, but hey haven't we seen individual cherry pick for more trivial things?

Comment

it's true holmes didn't look pretty on his toes, he was an economical guy. he couldn't circle you for 15 rounds, but he'd get out of trouble when he had to. liston just wasn't smart enough for larry, i think he gets taken apart and loses a wide decision.

Comment

Working...
                  X