Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Heavyweight Champions had the best stamina?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    Hi Boxing Buff, Frazier was a slow starter. He didn't fight at the pace Tyson did for the first five rounds..........and in a decision fight any round is a scoring round.

Also.....Frazier didn't fight past round ten that many times to really justify his legendary distance stamina and workrate. The other times Frazier fought past round ten, from memory were the second Bonavena fight, Mathis, obviously the Ali fights and Bugner jump to mind.

People remember the first Ali fight, yes he showed great stamina through rounds eleven to fifteen. He was at an amazing pinnacle that night, but Ali had motivated him to train to a terrific level. He wasn't always that impressive into the championship rounds. Hell Riddick Bowe's stamina was terrific the first time he fought Holyfield, but he wouldn't warrant an inclusion in this thread.

I dont recall him finishing that strong against Bugner ( I think he even got hurt late from memory) , Ali 2, his closed eye caused a marked fade in Ali 3 in rounds 13 and 14. If I'm honest I haven't seen the second Bonavena fight in donkey's years so I forget how Frazier closed the show there.

But Tyson did close the show pretty well on occasions too, he'll never be remembered for being a distance fighter, but I'd argue that he is underated over at least the 12 round distance.
    I agree Frazier was a slow starter,and Tyson started alot faster.

When I'm talking about Frazier I'm talking about him in the fight of the Century.

Frazier started smoking from the 3rd round on.Then was really smoking the middle rounds.The pace he was setting was wicked.But he kept on smoking until the 15th and final round.

I would give Tyson the first 5 rounds as well.But Joe taking over in the middle rounds with a blistering pace.I would give Frazier the last five rounds as well.

I agree with your post and fights you mentioned that Frazier was in.But Frazier was never the same after the fight of the century.Though he gave it his last gasp in the Trilla' in Manilla,fighting at a very fast pace from rounds 5-12.

I don't think Frazier would beat Tyson.I'm just talking about who would win when it comes to stamina.I just wanted to know what others thought compared to what I believed about the pace and stamina between Tyson and Frazier.Thank You

Comment

Cheers bud, Yep Tyson earlier, Frazier later on in fights. Different types of athletes. Sometimes Tyson finished with a good workrate late, sometimes Frazier even started quite fast.

And yes, Fight of the century was a workrate masterpiece from Frazier. Ali didn't half inspire that guy to be the best he had ever been.

Comment

Working...
      X