No announcement yet.

What is the greatest Amateur fight ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the greatest Amateur fight ever

what is the greatest amateur fight in boxing history?

one of the greatest fights i have ever seen in my life, even better than Hagler vs Hearns was the amateur fight between Shawn O`Sullivan (can) vs Armando Martinez (cub) 1984 World Championships..... here is a little excerpt:

Nov. 18 - Armando Martinez (Cuba) W pts 5-0
    World Cup light-middleweight champion; Montreal. “’Martinez caught me cold in the first round because I hadn’t felt him out 100 per cent.’ O’Sullivan said after rebounding from two standing eight-counts to take a unanimous decision. ‘It was a very tough fight.’ Martinez dominated the opening round, forcing the two eight-counts and cutting O’Sullivan over the left eye late in the round with a right jab. But O’Sullivan was clearly the winner of the second and third rounds. In the final round Martinez was forced to take a standing eight-count and then lost a point when the referee ruled that he had hit O’Sullivan with an open glove. ‘I knew the only way to beat him was toe-to-toe,’ O’Sullivan said. ‘The Cubans are well conditioned and I figured it would come down to who would last longer, but I was sure I had won’” (Tyrone [Pennsylvania] Daily Herald 11-19-81:6).

anyone else seen this fight?

Comment

I'm no where near up to scratch on the amateurs, but Khan Kindelan II stirred up a fair bit of interest.. Lewis Bowe was also quite big at the time, but if we're referring to neither turning pro - did Stevenson ever fight Savon?.. That'd be my uneducated guess, but it'll be interesting to know.. Good thread!

Comment

here you are Micky, its all i can find on O`Sullivan.. i have his fight in full with Martinez and believe me its one of the greatest 3 round slugfests of all times, i am sure that if any other members was lucky enough to have seen that fight they will vouch for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VNC383QzI

Comment

They dont have to be big names on a big stage like olympics or worlds to have a great fight

ive seen a fight about 2 years ago on my gyms show with about 500people there. they were two neutral fighters from different clubs and both had about 25people each

both going down heavy for three rounds until one of them just got layed out in the 3rd. great fight, one of the best ive seen

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialOne View Post
            They dont have to be big names on a big stage like olympics or worlds to have a great fight

ive seen a fight about 2 years ago on my gyms show with about 500people there. they were two neutral fighters from different clubs and both had about 25people each

both going down heavy for three rounds until one of them just got layed out in the 3rd. great fight, one of the best ive seen
            yes i agree

Comment

Willie Pep v Sugar Ray Robinson would have been a nice one to see

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                yes i agree
                Thanks for the quick payout Sonny.
                Good atmosphere there Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                  Willie Pep v Sugar Ray Robinson would have been a nice one to see
                  Yes! If someone came along with a time-machine and offered me to go back and see ONE amateur match... then that would probably be the one!

Comment

Kostya vs. Vernon for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X