Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good power but use to get winded to quick and that chin was no help either

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
      One dimensional fighter who had tremendous power but choked in nearly all of his biggest fights-Tyson(2), Witherspoon, Smith and Lewis. Did fight better than his talent suggested he should. A C rated heavyweight
      I've noticed a lot of posters use the term, "C rated heavyweight."

Bruno was in the top 10 for most of his career, so who would you describe as B rated heavyweights?..
      Surely, this would put Carl Williams, Gerrie Coetzee, James Tillis, Oliver McCall etc, all in the D rated catagory?
      Also, how does a C rated HW get 4 cracks at the HW title, and eventually win it?
      I mean, nobody can say it was a lucky punch!..

Ok, he was incredibly well managed and I bet he's got 10 times more money in the bank than Tyson and Witherspoon put together, but in my opinion Bruno was way above C rated.. Or am I not quite grasping the concept here?
      Last edited by mickey malone; 03-29-2010, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

Bruno was in the top 10 for most of his career, so who would you describe as B rated heavyweights?..
        Surely, this would put Carl Williams, Gerrie Coetzee, James Tillis, Oliver McCall etc, all in the D rated catagory?
        Also, how does a C rated HW get 4 cracks at the HW title, and eventually win it?

I mean, nobody can say it was a lucky punch.. Ok, he was incredibly well managed and I bet he's got 10 times more money in the bank than Tyson and Witherspoon put together, but in my opinion Bruno was way above C rated.. Or am I not quite grasping the concept here?
        Here's how I rank:

A Level - ATGs and Near Greats
        B Level - Top Contenders in an average strength era.
        C Level - Journeymen and Fringe Contenders in an average strength era.
        D Level - Club Fighters
        E Level - Tomato Cans

Poet

Comment

in my opinion Bruno was way above C rated.. Or am I not quite grasping the concept here?
          He was definitely an easy B rated fighter and always a top contender.

I think he'd take back the C rated comment if he could.

Comment

I mean, nobody can say it was a lucky punch.. Ok, he was incredibly well managed and I bet he's got 10 times more money in the bank than Tyson and Witherspoon put together, but in my opinion Bruno was way above C rated.. Or am I not quite grasping the concept here?
            I would put Coetzee and Williams as C rated fighters also. Tillis and McCall would be D fighters. Bruno was a very popular fighter who lacked that extra intangible to be great. John Ruiz, who i can't stand, is in my opinion also a C rated fighter. If A+ is Ali and Louis, what do other Heavyweights rate? Is Tyson a B+ or an A-? I'd give Holmes and A- as well as Lewis and Johnson, Dempsey and marciano are A's. I believe if you are a B rated fighter, you are borderline HOF(Norton). Bruno had a very good career and yes, he saved money and is doing well. He is not a HOF fighter, though he is a class act and a credit to the sport

Comment

I would put Coetzee and Williams as C rated fighters also. Tillis and McCall would be D fighters. Bruno was a very popular fighter who lacked that extra intangible to be great. John Ruiz, who i can't stand, is in my opinion also a C rated fighter. If A+ is Ali and Louis, what do other Heavyweights rate? Is Tyson a B+ or an A-? I'd give Holmes and A- as well as Lewis and Johnson, Dempsey and marciano are A's. I believe if you are a B rated fighter, you are borderline HOF(Norton). Bruno had a very good career and yes, he saved money and is doing well. He is not a HOF fighter, though he is a class act and a credit to the sport
              I would rate Ali, Louis, Holmes, Tyson, Johnson, Dempsey, and Marciano as A Fighters as they are all legitimate ATGs. I would rate Lewis an A Fighter as well as he's a near-great. Norton would be a B Fighter as he was a consistant top-contender in an extremely strong era.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                I would rate Ali, Louis, Holmes, Tyson, Johnson, Dempsey, and Marciano as A Fighters as they are all legitimate ATGs. I would rate Lewis an A Fighter as well as he's a near-great. Norton would be a B Fighter as he was a consistant top-contender in an extremely strong era.

Poet
                I agree. What about Foreman, Frazier, and Tunney? Are they A's as well? You and malone have me thinking about rating all the Heavyweight champs from A-D. I believe the above three would all be A's. Excellent post by both you and malone.

Comment

I agree. What about Foreman, Frazier, and Tunney? Are they A's as well? You and malone have me thinking about rating all the Heavyweight champs from A-D. I believe the above three would all be A's. Excellent post by both you and malone.
                  Absolutely Foreman and Frazier are A Level. Tunney only had five fights at Heavyweight so I don't rate him there: He was an A Level Light-Heavyweight though.

Poet

Comment

I agree. What about Foreman, Frazier, and Tunney? Are they A's as well?
                    Hell yes they are.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                      Absolutely Foreman and Frazier are A Level. Tunney only had five fights at Heavyweight so I don't rate him there: He was an A Level Light-Heavyweight though.

Poet
                      So you would put Tunney and Spinks as A 175 pound fighters who had brief success at Heavy. fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X