Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best chins ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just cuz you get knocked down dont always mean you have a bad chin, frazier put ali on the canvas but did he have a bad chin. best chin ever is chuvalo, from that list its ali

Comment

Rocky Marciano

Comment

David Tua, Foreman and Steve Collins

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
        Jake LaMotta, Tex Cobb, and George Chuvalo are sorely missing from your list.
        David Tua deserves mention too. The only time I ever saw him off his feet was right after the end of his 2nd fight with Rahman. The bell ending the 12th round had already sounded so it didn't count.

George Foreman had a great chin too, but when you're dead tired and can't keep your gloves up (like against Ali) or don't bother at all with defence (like against Ron Lyle and Jimmy Young) you can be decked no matter how good your chin is.

I only saw Steve Collins fight a couple times, but I've heard various boxing fans from the United Kingdom describe his chin as cast iron.

Comment

You really need to include Jake La motta on the lists. A great boxer who could take a beating.

Comment

In no particular order on a p4p basis.

Jeffries, Marciano, Mercer, Tua, Tyson, Hagler, Duran...(Hearns was a freak), Ali, Bonavena, Chuvalo, Quarry, Cobb, Toney, Peter, Liston, Greb, Langford, Wilde, Ketchel, Papke,....for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
              In no particular order on a p4p basis.

Jeffries, Marciano, Mercer, Tua, Tyson, Hagler, Duran...(Hearns was a freak), Ali, Bonavena, Chuvalo, Quarry, Cobb, Toney, Peter, Liston, Greb, Langford, Wilde, Ketchel, Papke,....for starters.
              you could take tyson out of there. tyson was ko'ed every single loss of his career except holyfield.

Comment

Originally posted by NextRocky
                you could take tyson out of there. tyson was ko'ed every single loss of his career except holyfield.
                No, I don't think so. Mike took a tremendous beating before being stopped.

Comment

marciano has a great chin, but its defintley not one of the best simply because ITS NOT PROVEN ENOUGH.

- walcott, moore, and even old louis were good to great punchers and rocky showed he could take a punch by taking flush punches from these guys. walcott and moore were defintley very good punchers. however, rocky never faced a 1st teir puncher who was also a big heavyweight. he never fought a foreman, or liston so we don't know if his chin will hold up.

chuvalo proved he could take foreman, frazier,etc's best punches without going down. so automatically he rates up there as one of the best chin.
                  what if we found out rocky could take foremans best punch? then rocky would be the greatest heavyweight of all time because no one would beat him.

- marciano we will never know. he proved he had a great chin, but he didnt prove he had an all time chin like tua, chuvalo, mccall. all these guys faced big punchers than rocky and were never floored.

the only skilled big man who could punch that rocky ever faced was 6'2 214lb joe louis. believe me, louis still had some power left, watch the lee savold fight if u dont believe me. johnny skhor and big bill wilson were giants who were also hard hitters, but they weren't good fighters. rex layne was considered a very harder hitter with his right, and he was defintley one of the better punchers rocky beat. but layne was just 6'2 195lb and never showed he had elite power. carmine vingo a promising young prospect could hit like a truck and rocky certainly proved his chin in this fight. vingo was definetley one of the better big heavyweights he beat during his career. too bad he got ruined by rocky, he had a lot of potential. Vingo came closer to knocking rocky out than perhaps any of marcianos opponents.

here are the "hardest hitters" in terms of force with 1 punch that rocky ever faced

old joe louis
                  jersey joe walcott
                  archie moore
                  carmine vingo
                  Rex Layne
                  johnny skhor

all these guys were considered hard punchers, and newspapers at the time back this claim up. but still, thats not a good list of big punchers.

but back to the main point: rocky simply did not have his chin tested enough like say ali did.
                  Last edited by SuzieQ49; 03-23-2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

You really need to include Jake La motta on the lists. A great boxer who could take a beating.
                    He had the best chin. Ring ****zine agrees with me!

Comment

id have to say jackie
                      cuz i usually enjoy all of his movies

Comment

Working...
                      X