Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters who were destined to become ATG's, but ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    Yeah man, Sands was amazing. He was born into it. His whole family were all well known, highly ranked boxers over here and there was quite a lot, about six if I remember correctly.

As always happens, he died just as things were really starting to happen for him. He had become known as one of the best fighters in the world in any weight class, and over here held the MW, LHW and HW titles simultaneously as well as being the British and Australasian MW champ.

What most people don't know is that he was in line to fight Ray Robinson for a long time but it never came about, when he was rated the No. 3 contender possibly because he was seen as too much of a threat and in a fight that was meant to be Sands there, Robinson got beaten by Turpin instead. His manager left him after that and he was again being set up with Robinson for a fight when he died but it was commented that Robinson wanted too much money for the fight.

A very slick counter puncher but was very aggressive and fought off the front foot a lot. Exciting fighter and a very sad story.

An interesting sidenote: When 'Bobo' Olson won the MW title, he actually dedicated it to Dave Sands and said "..this title really belongs to the great Dave Sands who would have been the true champion if he were still here with us" as he had beaten the bollocks off Olson in two fights worse than anyone. He had a killer left hook, great chin, great power and was very fast and well skilled defensively. One of the best Australia has ever produced and like Darcy, his best was never seen.

As already noted, in 110 fights he only lost eight times...or seven...I think. He had about 65 KO's. Amazing fighter in an amazing era, taken in his prime much too early.
    Cheers Benny!.. I knew he was special...

Comment

I am ashamed. I never saw Sands fight, and I can't find anytying on yt, besides a footage of australian fighters. Any of the ratio torrents site would have footage of him?

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
        I am ashamed. I never saw Sands fight, and I can't find anytying on yt, besides a footage of australian fighters. Any of the ratio torrents site would have footage of him?
        He's the main reason i did the thread, for that very reason too..
        I don't think there is any footage on him.. I'll PM Rooster.. He's an Aussie with a massive film collection...

Comment

tony ayala .....could have been part of the mix

Comment

Originally posted by t.boone.pickenz View Post
            tony ayala .....could have been part of the mix
            I'd say there was a good chance he'd have edged Duran out of the fab four.. Similar fighter, but naturally bigger..

Comment

Working...
            X