No announcement yet.

James Toney vs Prime Lennox Lewis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    Toney is a defensive genius with an excellent set of whiskers, which cannot be denied, but you need a bit more than that to beat Lewis.. It's no good using a past prime Holyfield as a measuring stick, purely down to the fact that Holyfield will always be remembered as a greater fighter than Toney.. So I suppose there's your answer really..
    The facts are, that Lewis has KO'd more seasoned heavyweights than Toney has had heavyweight fights.. I agree that in the 10 fights he's had as a heavy, he's aquited himself quite well, but only as a survivor, and hasn't really asserted himself in most of those performances.. Well he hasn't looked at all dangerous has he?

Oh, and you skipped one of my questions too, Do you think Sam Peter would beat Lewis?
    no i think Lewis would beat Sam Peter... James Toney fought Sam Peter when he was 40yrs old, if the James Toney who beat Holyfield that weighed 217lbs fought any version of Lennox Lewis then IMO Toney wins quite easily by KO6....
    you dont need no more than what Toney is, like you claim to beat Lewis.. was McCall & Rahman defensive geniuses, did Rahman have a set of whiskers as good as James Toneys, could either one of them fight inside like James Toney could..watching Holyfield vs Toney it was clear that Evander was in way over his head.. Holyfield had just hammered Rahman and put in very good performances after the Toney fight against Savarese, Madalone & Valuev, yet Lewis fought 24rds with him that IMO i would say went 12rds each... you are not giving James Toney the credit he deserves, you are underestimating just how great a fighter James Toney was, and vastly over-estimating Lennox Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by bolopunchez View Post
      I never said Holyfield couldn't win, because of the first fight's terrible decision. I said it was close and that the first fight's terrible decision kind of makes up for it.

Are you honestly gonna sit there and tell me that Lewis didn't beat Holyfield in the first fight? Are you gonna tell me that their second fight wasn't close?
      [QUOTE=bolopunchez;7872445]7-5, for their first fight? WOW! How much more biased can you get?QUOTE]

You can't get much more bias than that. What he's saying is that if one round in the first Lewis/Holyfield fight had been he would have scored it a draw.

That 350-120 punches landed is that close to a draw.

The first Holyfield/Lewis fight was one of the most one-sided fights of its type in the history of heavyweight boxing and Lewis got shafted over.

If it had been in the UK, or for that matter any country in the world other than America, we all know that would never have happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
        You can't get much more bias than that. What he's saying is that if one round in the first Lewis/Holyfield fight had been he would have scored it a draw.

That 350-120 punches landed is that close to a draw.

The first Holyfield/Lewis fight was one of the most one-sided fights of its type in the history of heavyweight boxing and Lewis got shafted over.

If it had been in the UK, or for that matter any country in the world other than America, we all know that would never have happened.
        Agreed.

I still don't know how the judges could've scored the fight a draw. It's as if they watched the fight with their eyes closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          no i think Lewis would beat Sam Peter... James Toney fought Sam Peter when he was 40yrs old, if the James Toney who beat Holyfield that weighed 217lbs fought any version of Lennox Lewis then IMO Toney wins quite easily by KO6....
          you dont need no more than what Toney is, like you claim to beat Lewis.. was McCall & Rahman defensive geniuses, did Rahman have a set of whiskers as good as James Toneys, could either one of them fight inside like James Toney could..watching Holyfield vs Toney it was clear that Evander was in way over his head.. Holyfield had just hammered Rahman and put in very good performances after the Toney fight against Savarese, Madalone & Valuev, yet Lewis fought 24rds with him that IMO i would say went 12rds each... you are not giving James Toney the credit he deserves, you are underestimating just how great a fighter James Toney was, and vastly over-estimating Lennox Lewis
          Hmmm, I can see how your getting there, but your using poor old Holy again.. He was 44 and went on to eek out a DC over 40 year old Saverese who was KO'd in one round by the supposedly shot Mike Tyson.. Toney trained up for a change, and then mugged Holyfield at the Darby & Joan club.. That 217lb Toney may have given the Lewis who fought Vitaly a few problems, but I can't see him having enough 'one-shot' poke to do a Rahman or a McCall on him.. I mean Toney hasn't done that to anyone since Michael Nunn 20 years ago!
          Anyway, it's only down to opinion, and my opinion is, that if Toney really thought he could have beaten the big fairy, then why did he wait until Lewis retired, b4 making his move up to HW?

Comment

Hmmm, I can see how your getting there, but your using poor old Holy again.. He was 44 and went on to eek out a DC over 40 year old Saverese who was KO'd in one round by the supposedly shot Mike Tyson.. Toney trained up for a change, and then mugged Holyfield at the Darby & Joan club.. That 217lb Toney may have given the Lewis who fought Vitaly a few problems, but I can't see him having enough 'one-shot' poke to do a Rahman or a McCall on him.. I mean Toney hasn't done that to anyone since Michael Nunn 20 years ago!
            Anyway, it's only down to opinion, and my opinion is, that if Toney really thought he could have beaten the big fairy, then why did he wait until Lewis retired, b4 making his move up to HW?
            you used old Holyfield as you opponent of Lewis who you said was more skilled in the sport of boxing than James Toney... i cannot agree
            Toney was a light-heavy/cruiserweight to 2003 since moving up to heavyweight he has repeatedly called for a fight with every top rated fighter including The Klitschko brothers both of who are bigger in stature than Lewis, in almost every one of Toneys fights at heavyweight the majority of boxing fans have claimed he would be too little and will get KOd yet even at his advanced age he has proven over and over again that he is without doubt one of the greatest fighters of the last half century.. if Holyfield, Rahman, Ruiz & Peter could not KO or even floor James Toney then no-way does Lennox Lewis... and if Lewis could not KO Toney then i fail to see how Lewis could win, he does not possess the boxing skills to deal with the skills of Toney... This topic asked who would win and we gave our opinions, i stick with Toney KO6 (easy win)

Comment

This topic asked who would win and we gave our opinions, i stick with Toney KO6 (easy win)
              Lewis 48

Toney 10

...and counting...

Comment

• The only chance Toney has is if Lewis chooses not to take him seriously. But you can rely on Toney to say something in the fight build-up (remember his war of words with Barkley) that would make Lennox angry and put on his Rahman II head.

Toney has a great chin, but if he gets caught with the punch that starched Rahman he aint never getting up again.

Comment

• Simply no way Toney could beat a prime Lennox....Nobody could. Or when they did they were quickly avenged by KO. Lennox is top 5-10 ATG HW IMO.

Comment

you used old Holyfield as you opponent of Lewis who you said was more skilled in the sport of boxing than James Toney... i cannot agree
                    Toney was a light-heavy/cruiserweight to 2003 since moving up to heavyweight he has repeatedly called for a fight with every top rated fighter including The Klitschko brothers both of who are bigger in stature than Lewis, in almost every one of Toneys fights at heavyweight the majority of boxing fans have claimed he would be too little and will get KOd yet even at his advanced age he has proven over and over again that he is without doubt one of the greatest fighters of the last half century.. if Holyfield, Rahman, Ruiz & Peter could not KO or even floor James Toney then no-way does Lennox Lewis... and if Lewis could not KO Toney then i fail to see how Lewis could win, he does not possess the boxing skills to deal with the skills of Toney... This topic asked who would win and we gave our opinions, i stick with Toney KO6 (easy win)
                    I used a past prime Holyfield.. Your version is even 4 years older still..
                    I'd speculate, that version would have been stopped a fair bit quicker by Lewis..
                    Evander's punch resistance was one of the 1st things to go, and he's fought a lot more defensively since he was stopped by Toney..

I'm a big admirer of Toney, and he is a P4P ATG, but he is not a HW ATG.. He's reminiscent of Joe Choynski at HW, very good, but not quite good enough..
                    He may have called out the Klits, but he wouldn't beat them either..
                    If Peter and Rahman couldn't KO him, then the least a prime Lewis or the Klits would do, is beat him by a much wider majority.. And as for Ruiz; well you'll see how much you've overrated him, next month..

Comment

I used a past prime Holyfield.. Your version is even 4 years older still..
                      I'd speculate, that version would have been stopped a fair bit quicker by Lewis..
                      Evander's punch resistance was one of the 1st things to go, and he's fought a lot more defensively since he was stopped by Toney..

I'm a big admirer of Toney, and he is a P4P ATG, but he is not a HW ATG.. He's reminiscent of Joe Choynski at HW, very good, but not quite good enough..
                      He may have called out the Klits, but he wouldn't beat them either..
                      If Peter and Rahman couldn't KO him, then the least a prime Lewis or the Klits would do, is beat him by a much wider majority.. And as for Ruiz; well you'll see how much you've overrated him, next month..
                      Mickey.. put your money where your mouth is for next months fight, because if i lose you wont be able to say a thing if you remain `sitting on the fence`

Comment

Working...
                      X