Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the Greatest Fighter Joe Louis Defeated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braddock called the shots and got a better offer from Joe Louis. Of course Schmeling's nationality may have had something to do with it too, the Americans wanted the title to stay in the US.

However it must be said that Braddock in no way sold his title to Louis, he fought like a man possessed and absorbed terrific punishment until being knocked out cold. It was a valiant effort by him.

Comment

Billy Conn

Comment

Originally posted by .Paulie. View Post
        Billy Conn
        I agree..

Buddy Baer, Max Baer, Carnera, Braddock and Schmeling II were his best performances though..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          For me its Jersey Joe Walcott. A future heavyweight champ, one of the best technicians ever, fast, slippery, KO power in both hands. True he lost to lesser fighters over the course of his career but when he was on form he was spectacular.

Joe Louis got off the canvas to win a disputed decision in their first fight. He also got off the canvas in their second fight to KO Walcott when behind on points.

Louis was not prime in either of these fights, but I'd argue that the 'peak' Walcott that he fought and beat was his best opponent.

Also remember that although Charles and Walcott traded several decisions with each other at heavyweight, Walcott knocked Charles spark out and gave Marciano more of a boxing lesson than Charles did in their first fight prior to the 13th round KO.
          Originally posted by .Paulie. View Post
          Billy Conn
          yeah, i think walcott also, he came into his prime late in his career. the walcott that louis fought was the best walcott, and louis was just past his prime. also billy conn, he was a great boxer

Comment

yes it,s walcott for me

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
              I agree..

Buddy Baer, Max Baer, Carnera, Braddock and Schmeling II were his best performances though..
              How many fighters that Joe Louis beat would you rank in the top 10 of all-time? The top 15?

Comment

Working...
              X