No announcement yet.

History revision: miserable "great" Lewis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History revision: miserable "great" Lewis

Now it is common to consider Lennox Lewis as a "great" boxer and to share the dubious idiom of the decline in the heavyweight. But is it really so? Or is this just the stereotype and the lack of independent thinking?

Recently I found a wonderful video of last Lewis' fight in the net. In my opinion, Lewis and his comments of the past fight are pathetic. So the question is: are retired boxers truly so "great" and their present colleagues so clumsy or we just tend to exaggerate and embellish the past? Everyone is free to make a conclusion for themselves.

Lewis in hes career, faught alot of over the top fighters and former champions. Here, he faced a man in hes prime and a fighter with good skills.-

Comment

Originally posted by Axl Rose View Post
      Lewis in hes career, faught alot of over the top fighters and former champions. Here, he faced a man in hes prime and a fighter with good skills.-
      Both fighters are a sad indictment on the quality of boxing in recent years. They don't rate alongside the top 10 heavyweights from the 1920s through to the 1970s.

They are just big lumbering behemoths with poor defensive boxing skills.

Comment

You clearly havent been into boxing long enough to question his greatness, every expert in the world puts lewis in their top 10 GOAT lists.

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
          You clearly havent been into boxing long enough to question his greatness, every expert in the world puts lewis in their top 10 GOAT lists.
          I dont think Lewis is rated that highly. His best wins are: past prime Holyfield*2, shot Tyson and Vitali

Comment

Originally posted by EzzardFan View Post
            Both fighters are a sad indictment on the quality of boxing in recent years. They don't rate alongside the top 10 heavyweights from the 1920s through to the 1970s.

They are just big lumbering behemoths with poor defensive boxing skills.
            But on what criteria this assertion is based - speed, strength, technique? Maybe it is just easier to idealize the retired boxers, because reality will not be able to disillusion us? Moreover, memory is selective and we remember only good moments. Who, for example, now remember that the great Ali was defeated by Ken Norton? Or that Lewis avoided fights with southpaws?

The past is easier to idealize than the present, which is fresh in memory and constantly subject to inspection by reality with great risk of disappointment. And we don't want to be disappointed so seeks our "heroes" in the past.

Comment

I'm not interested in so-called "experts" opinion. I asked your opinion.

Comment

I think whilst it is an interesting thread Norton you will find that the greatness or not of Lewis has been done to death and quite recently.

Comment

Lewis is one of the best ever.

Comment

please show some evidence of this accusation... i have never seen Lewis tanked in any ATG list

Comment

Working...
                    X